Meaties 101

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting a few in Spring.
smile.png

Excellent summary.
Now I have to figure out how to adapt to my climate... when it's warm here the pasture is dry, and when the pasture is good it's cold, windy, and wet. Either I basically give up on pasturing, or figure out how to keep them warm in a tractor.

Quote:
I get them from a small hatchery called Eagle Nest Poultry, right here in Ohio. Chicks are shipped out on Wednesday afternoon, and I get them by 10:30am on Thursday. Not only is shipping cheaper than places further away, but I have very few chicks DOA.

Here is a link to their website: http://eaglenestpoultry.com/

I
have been very happy with them. Prices and product are both excellent.

Last edited:
Quote:
This year they were $.84 straight run and $1 for cockerals only. I know that isn't the best per price around, but for me the reduced shipping cost from being so close and the lower DOA rate from being in the box less time makes up the difference. Shipping for 100+ chicks was less than $9 I think. And to answer your next question, they get some Hubbards and some Ross's. Both have performed well. They only difference I can tell is one of them has white/cream colored legs and the other yellow.

Quote:
This year they were $.84 straight run and $1 for cockerals only. I know that isn't the best per price around, but for me the reduced shipping cost from being so close and the lower DOA rate from being in the box less time makes up the difference. Shipping for 100+ chicks was less than $9 I think. And to answer your next question, they get some Hubbards and some Ross's. Both have performed well. They only difference I can tell is one of them has white/cream colored legs and the other yellow.

$0.84 is a really good price. I'm paying $0.88 without shipping. I might have to try them out.

Which line did you like better? You normally can't tell the difference unless they are raised commercially as the differences are usually very small on our level. How much are their layers?

Back
Top Bottom