Meaties 101

I feed my CX 24/7 and go 12 weeks. No losses yet. I coop them on concrete with straw and clean every 2 weeks. My average roo is 10 pounds dressed. My biggest drawback is the cleaning and food consumption. Next year I'm definitely getting bulk food. My birds averaged 40 pounds each. I can't wrap your method of feeding what you want them to have daily - I'd like to see the chart you mention. Since I feed 24/7 it probably won't matter anyway. However, I love your tractor system and may employ one next year with 1/2 my meaties to see. I can utilize at least 3 acres easily. I kinow the Amish do it this way around here and I considered it for a brief time. Does your tractor "coop" have a floor? I'm assuming the run area is open bottom. Thanks, John (Michigan).

I use the Salatin style tractor and nope, no floor in mine.

ETA: I keep feed in front of mine all the time except for a couple of hours when I move the tractor. They have no light so they don't feed at night regardless if the food is in or out.

Last edited:
Well, just ate our second chicken. First had a bad leg and was butchered too early, very thin. This one was fat an about a small turkey size! Hubby was on the fence about me raising meat birds. He was actually even having issues about eating fertile eggs! Thank goodness Mcmurray accidentally sent us Cornish crosses and he understood they were a terminal bird!
This broiler was awesome! Slightly tougher than grocery store mush but what flavor! Pasture raised. I'm sure 110 degree heat all summer hasn't done them any favors.
Making plans to order twenty five this fall from Welp. Anyone ever tried their slow-broiler birds?
Still have one chicken in the fridge and five needing to be butchered. I'll need to buy the new chest freezer I've been begging for this fall!
smile.png

Last edited:
I feed my CX 24/7 and go 12 weeks. No losses yet. I coop them on concrete with straw and clean every 2 weeks. My average roo is 10 pounds dressed. My biggest drawback is the cleaning and food consumption. Next year I'm definitely getting bulk food. My birds averaged 40 pounds each. I can't wrap your method of feeding what you want them to have daily - I'd like to see the chart you mention. Since I feed 24/7 it probably won't matter anyway. However, I love your tractor system and may employ one next year with 1/2 my meaties to see. I can utilize at least 3 acres easily. I kinow the Amish do it this way around here and I considered it for a brief time. Does your tractor "coop" have a floor? I'm assuming the run area is open bottom. Thanks, John (Michigan).

What percent feed are you using?

Thank you! I currently have 17 meat birds and have been doing this blind. I have made a few mistakes, and now hope that I can correct with out messing everything up to much. I wish I had seen this when they were still under the brooder.

This is a great article and coming across it at just the right time. I have printed the original posters article and am highlighting for quick reference later.

Thanks very much for writing such a great article and making it so very simple for a newbie to get a way to do it!!

Does with-holding the feed make them more stressed or make them flap around when you try to catch them/hold them? Will giving them electrolytes in their water make them calmer?

Does with-holding the feed make them more stressed or make them flap around when you try to catch them/hold them? Will giving them electrolytes in their water make them calmer?
No it doesn't stress them, but it does make them really hungry come feeding time. No, electrolytes does not calm them.

I am close to getting meat birds for the first time. Thanks for that first post, very informative and well written. So, from what I see, from what you originally wrote, 8 weeks is the magic age to butcher? What would be the maximum age til they start getting tougher? Also, aside from the weight, are males and females just as good to eat both taste and tenderness wise since its such an early age?

Thanks for this informative article. I ended up with 12 Cornish X due to a mixup at the feed store (I asked for 12 Red Broilers). I am a little less nervous about raising them after reading this. I don't want a lot of losses or sick chickens - not only bad emotionally, but also not very cost effective!

Back
Top Bottom