Medicated chick feed for new ducklings??

jynxster

Songster
8 Years
Dec 8, 2011
San Diego CA east county (Alpine)
I have 3 new , just a few days old, pekins. The feed store guy sold me Nutrena Medicated Chick feed for the ducks, says they feed all the chicks and the ducklings this; however everything I read says medicated chick feed not good for ducklings. Whats the safest thing to do. I have decided at this time to just give them the adult duck mash, over 20% protien for now until I know its safe. anyone have ideas or know about this for sure?

DO NOT feed it to them. I don't know what that guy was thinking. Medicated feed can cause organ damage in ducklings; you have to feed them unmedicated.

100% agree with OlwLayer. I keep ducks and have hatched and raised them from ducklings. Under no circumstances should they be given medicated chick crumb. Is it possible to buy unmedicated feed where you are? You also need to report back to the shop where you were sold the crumb. Staff need to know their product!

thanks thanks I did feed it to them today when I brouht them home and then realized it said MEDICATED on the bag this evening, i will take it back, I agree I feel they steered me wrong. I will just give the babies the adult duck mash till tomarrow, bless their little hearts and thanks to you folks for confirming what I read on the internet. thanks

How much were they given and how much did they actually eat?

Last edited:
I am going to disagree with the others. Medicated chick feed USED to have stronger drugs in it which were harmful to ducklings, which eat much more than chicks and therefore overdosed on those drugs. No longer. Now there is only the amprolium to increase resistance to cocci. I have raised several broods of ducks with no problem whatsoever. Amprolium is SAFE for WATERFOWL.

The old hype is being propagated all over the InterWeb. People often repeat it simply because someone at a feed store or (on a discussion forum) told them, "Oh no, never feed medicated chick starter to ducklings - you'll kill them!"

Chick starter, medicated or not, does not contain enough niacin for growing ducklings. I simple add powdered Brewer's Yeast to their feed a couple of times a week.

Again, no problems with those I've raised. And I'm not the Lone Ranger in this regard; there are many, many folks on BYC who know it's safe to feed medicated chick feed to ducklings and have done so without causing any harm.

I am going to disagree with the others. Medicated chick feed USED to have stronger drugs in it which were harmful to ducklings, which eat much more than chicks and therefore overdosed on those drugs. No longer. Now there is only the amprolium to increase resistance to cocci. I have raised several broods of ducks with no problem whatsoever. Amprolium is SAFE for WATERFOWL.

The old hype is being propagated all over the InterWeb. People often repeat it simply because someone at a feed store or (on a discussion forum) told them, "Oh no, never feed medicated chick starter to ducklings - you'll kill them!"

Chick starter, medicated or not, does not contain enough niacin for growing ducklings. I simple add powdered Brewer's Yeast to their feed a couple of times a week.

Again, no problems with those I've raised. And I'm not the Lone Ranger in this regard; there are many, many folks on BYC who know it's safe to feed medicated chick feed to ducklings and have done so without causing any harm.

X2

I dont have a lot of knowledge of the actual brands you have over there- but yes - medicated is safe these days. There are specific kinds made specifically for ducklings- but often arent very different from chick starter anyway. Pekins - being a meat breed- may benefit from a multi vitamin instead of just plain niacin, they really do grow fast and can do with a boost of other essentials as well.

Enjoy your new babies- dont forget the photos!!!

No one can convince me that medicated isn't unsafe to ducklings. I've lost multiple batches of ducklings to medicated chick feed, and yes I have taken good care of them with a proper brooder, changed their shavings daily, made sure they had fresh food and water, and made sure that they were healthy. It might not always kill them, but IMO its best to be safe and not feed it to them.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I raised my 2 ducklings on medicated feed until the bad ran out, which was about 3 - 3 1/2 months! They are fine! If it is all you have, don't go out and buy a new bag because what you have is fine as long as it is medicated with Amprolium.

It's an old wives's tale that is apparently going to get passed around the web forever and ever.

Most modern medicated feed is amprollium, which is vitamin based, and it is perfectly fine for ducklings.

Decades ago, and I mean a lot of decades ago, medicated feed wasn't safe for ducklings. So the misinformation about not feeding medicated feed to ducklings has been going around for a very long time.

I've got expensive waterfowl and I do not take risks with them. Mine get started on game bird starter with amprollium and they have all been perfectly fine. The majority of people that I know who raise show ducks use medicated feed, so it is not just me, and it is certainly not ignorant people who are using the medicated feed but serious breeders.

Please do check the label to verify that the medication is amprollium. It would be rare for it to be anything else, but double check.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom