medicated feed?

jsbates65

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
I have two chicks that I am brooding inside right now. They are around 2 weeks old. The chicks originally came from Ideal, but I got them at a feedstore. The folks there don't seem overly educated on what they are selling, and had no idea if the chicks had been vaccinated when they came from Ideal. So I'm guessing they are not.

First of all, they are doing very well and seem very healthy. But I'm wondering if it would be good to feed them a medicated feed for a few weeks? Or is it necessary? Is medicated feed needed more when you keep large numbers of birds?

Ultimately I would prefer an organic type of feed that has no added things and they will get to "free range" for a bit each day once they move outdoors, but if feeding them medicated food for a few weeks will make them stronger than I would do that.

I appreciate any info.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=11993

the link is to a pic of Rosemary & Clarisse. . .my two girls. ;-)

If you don't know if they where vacinated or not I wouldn't use medicated feed at all. You can potentially do more harm than good.

I would be adding ACV to their water, diatomaceous earth to the feed and leave it at that.

Thanks. . .I have already started with the ACV, and opted to avoid the medicated feed.

Back
Top Bottom