Medium OverEZ coop. How many chickens, really?

We consistently get negative degree weather. I’m looking into ventilation fans. Any experience with those?
No, since those require both electricity as well as regular cleaning.

Negatives as in -5F? -20F? Or -40F? (Sustained, not quick dips, and not windchill)

At all of those temps I would still recommend the run roof, half of the coop wall being wire.

At -40F I would put in warming stations.

Have you thought about possibly extending that pre-fab? It would be easier than having to get two coops.
My flock still isn’t integrated. I have been tossing around the idea of keeping them separated, anyway. Unless we free range. Barred rocks and Salmon Faverolles. I have a couple Barred rocks that pace the fence line wanting to get to the Faverolles right now. 😟

I’ve redesigned the run today. It’s husband approved 😆😆 We’re setting posts on Friday.
I’ll cut rectangles in the prefab coop for ventilation and place that on the outside of the run. Then, I’m going to put a small coop inside the Faverolles run. And I’ll put a gate between the two runs in case they do decide to get along someday and they can share run space.

I might repurpose an armoire or something for the two Faverolles… 🤔

I attached a drawing of the run idea. This will give the BRs a 10x12 run and the Faverolles a 5x12 (minus whatever coop I put in there.)

Thanks for your input! I think we have a solid plan now! 🤩

Attachments

• 69E9B0F4-C69C-4335-AB00-8DFDC2E26F47.jpeg
    69E9B0F4-C69C-4335-AB00-8DFDC2E26F47.jpeg
    802 KB · Views: 3
  • 12A4E0E5-98B9-41B0-B43C-53CBBAF5277C.jpeg
    12A4E0E5-98B9-41B0-B43C-53CBBAF5277C.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom