Meet Henry! Crooked legged olive egger

Jun 2, 2023
So my friend brought me this three week old chick she had that hurt its leg a few days after hatching and she didn’t know what to do. I told her I would try my hardest to help or humanely euthanize. I figured I would come here first to gather some ideas on what I could try.
So say hello to little Henry! The sweetest baby I’ve ever met with the most crooked leg I’ve ever seen. She manages to get around a small bin to eat and drink and uses her wing to help balance, but if I could improve the leg function for her that’d be great. Lmk if you’ve seen this before and if they survived!

Attachments

• IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3623.jpeg
    IMG_3623.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 36
Could you get a picture at a 90° angle from the one you posted (ie, what does it look like from the side?)? What's the range of motion like in that joint? Do you know for sure the crooked leg was caused by the injury or is there a chance the deformity could be genetic?

Found this link in another thread about a chick with a twisted leg. I mostly scanned it, so im not sure if it had anything helpful for treating, but its good info.

Last edited:
That chick should have worn a splint while it was a baby to make the correction. It's too late now the bones and tendons are fussed to it's current condition.

To try now would be tearing the ligments and tendons which would cause extreme pain for the chick.

Could you get a picture at a 90° angle from the one you posted (ie, what does it look like from the side?)? What's the range of motion like in that joint? Do you know for sure the crooked leg was caused by the injury or is there a chance the deformity could be genetic?

Found this link in another thread about a chick with a twisted leg. I mostly scanned it, so im not sure if it had anything helpful for treating, but its good info.
She was positive it hatched completely normal. Walking fine and normal range of motion. The leg no longer bends to the inside but has give to the outside at the joint. It’s got good forward motion but can’t quite go straight. I’ll add a pick when I get home.

That chick should have worn a splint while it was a baby to make the correction. It's too late now the bones and tendons are fussed to it's current condition.

To try now would be tearing the ligments and tendons which would cause extreme pain for the chick.
What would you recommend?

So my friend brought me this three week old chick she had that hurt its leg a few days after hatching and she didn’t know what to do. I told her I would try my hardest to help or humanely euthanize. I figured I would come here first to gather some ideas on what I could try.
So say hello to little Henry! The sweetest baby I’ve ever met with the most crooked leg I’ve ever seen. She manages to get around a small bin to eat and drink and uses her wing to help balance, but if I could improve the leg function for her that’d be great. Lmk if you’ve seen this before and if they survived!
Never seen, but my aunt has 2 chickens with similar issues. One bird lost half her toes due to frostbite, and the other has one tow that curls outward. Both a little wobbly, but they are happy birds. I say keep her!

Never seen, but my aunt has 2 chickens with similar issues. One bird lost half her toes due to frostbite, and the other has one tow that curls outward. Both a little wobbly, but they are happy birds. I say keep her!
I have another girl that had something similar happen and she gets on excellent! However her leg is bent to the inside and is not nearly as severe, so she can still use it for support.
I’m considering crafting a brace with popsicle sticks and vet wrap and slowlyyy tighten it over a few weeks/months to try and gently straighten it. Obviously if she shows signs of it being painful I’ll just stick with a support brace. As long as she has good quality of life I’ll let her be❤️

I have another girl that had something similar happen and she gets on excellent! However her leg is bent to the inside and is not nearly as severe, so she can still use it for support.
I’m considering crafting a brace with popsicle sticks and vet wrap and slowlyyy tighten it over a few weeks/months to try and gently straighten it. Obviously if she shows signs of it being painful I’ll just stick with a support brace. As long as she has good quality of life I’ll let her be❤️
Nice

Back
Top Bottom