Meet Henry! Crooked legged olive egger

Could you get a picture at a 90° angle from the one you posted (ie, what does it look like from the side?)? What's the range of motion like in that joint? Do you know for sure the crooked leg was caused by the injury or is there a chance the deformity could be genetic?

Found this link in another thread about a chick with a twisted leg. I mostly scanned it, so im not sure if it had anything helpful for treating, but its good info.
Here’s the pic you asked for and an extra. the second pic is her laying down, you can see the leg is completely bent to the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpeg
    IMG_3628.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3626.jpeg
    IMG_3626.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Update, she brought me her sibling for comfort, originally thought she was an olive egger as she is barred with muffs, but her brother is crested. Any ideas on what breed these two are?

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 73120352172__6B5F84E8-80E4-44E8-964B-1E7041716271.jpeg
    73120352172__6B5F84E8-80E4-44E8-964B-1E7041716271.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 21
Henry has a twisted tibia or a valgus deformity, a leg bone deformity that no splinting would ever have helped. There is no treatment. Hopefully, he will be able to get around to get enough food and water. The chicks in the last picture could be cuckoo marans if their legs turn out to be white. Here is a link about leg bone deformities:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

Henry has a twisted tibia or a valgus deformity, a leg bone deformity that no splinting would ever have helped. There is no treatment. Hopefully, he will be able to get around to get enough food and water. The chicks in the last picture could be cuckoo marans if their legs turn out to be white. Here is a link about leg bone deformities:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers
Do you think a brace would be worth a try to help it get around better?
And they do look like cuckoo marans except one is crested and the other has muffs. One has white legs and the others are yellow.

I would try to let him get around on his own to try and get food and water. If he seems to not be able to, then culling might be the best option.
She is very lively, she perches on a stick I gave her, eats, drinks and has even climbed up chest. I understand that doesn’t mean she’ll continue to do good as she gets bigger, I guess I just want to give her the best shot at thriving as I can.
Any other ideas on what breed she might be?

I wouldn't cull her or him. I had a olive egger that looked like she had something tied around her foot when I got her from tsc and it caused her foot to be crooked. She basically walks on the side of her foot. She does fine and she's one of the alpha hens.

I wouldn't cull her or him. I had a olive egger that looked like she had something tied around her foot when I got her from tsc and it caused her foot to be crooked. She basically walks on the side of her foot. She does fine and she's one of the alpha hens.
I definitely agree, one of my Americana hens has a similar leg issue but it’s from a dislocation when she was 6 weeks. And she does amazing. My friendliest girl and lays gorgeous blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom