Mercy Killing Assistance

ncmtngal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 5, 2012
Hi Y'all,

I come to you with much needed advice on how to dispatch one of my very sick chickens. I know I'm going to sound like a total wuss about this whole thing but I'm quite attached to this chicken.
hit.gif

My husband is working out of town for two weeks and he usually does any chicken killing that needs doing. He uses an axe but I don't trust my aim or axe handling skills. She's about four months old so not a small chick. I've read about the neck breaking but I don't know if I'd be able to do it quickly and correctly. I have a .22 and know how to use it. Could that be my best bet?

Thanks for any and all advice in this matter.

Kerri in NC

Oh, I'm so sorry. What is wrong with her? Have you posted symptoms on here? People have so much helpful advice.

Do you have anybody else nearby that could do it? A .22 is possible, I think, depending on how good your aim is.

Hi Y'all,

I come to you with much needed advice on how to dispatch one of my very sick chickens. I know I'm going to sound like a total wuss about this whole thing but I'm quite attached to this chicken.
hit.gif

My husband is working out of town for two weeks and he usually does any chicken killing that needs doing. He uses an axe but I don't trust my aim or axe handling skills. She's about four months old so not a small chick. I've read about the neck breaking but I don't know if I'd be able to do it quickly and correctly. I have a .22 and know how to use it. Could that be my best bet?

Thanks for any and all advice in this matter.

Kerri in NC

If you don't feel comfortable using the axe then i say the 22 would be my choice since you say you know how to use it. we always tie their legs together before hand. so sorry your having to deal with this it's never easy..
hugs.gif

Thanks for your reply Miss Lydia. She's partially paralyzed so I don't think she'll be moving too much for a proper aim...at least I hope not .

Thanks for your reply Mskayladog. I read through most of that thread and I may try it. She's pretty big so maybe I could use a large plastic storage box? I'm going to read more about it.

Thank You Dawg53. Right now that's the method I'm feeling most confident about.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweety. I have had the same situation as most of us I am sure have had if we've been raising them for long. I had to do my own cull on a hen that was my best loved girl. It is never easy, but you know what you are doing is the right thing.

I dont want to sound mean, but the .22 is the best way. I wrapped my girl in a bath towel so that she could not move and i could not see it. I put her on the ground - towel kept her quiet and not move. This is going to make me sound so aweful. I am sorry. I put the gun really close to her head before I pulled the triger so that i could in no way miss and just injure her. Please use safety glasses, especailly if you are going to put the barrel that close to the ground. The towel helped a lot. for both of us I think. Be prepared for the body to move after you have dispatched of her if you have never culled before. Be assured she is gone and in no pain.

I am so so soooo sorry for your pain and loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom