Messing eating

renelle67

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
Hempstead, TX
Well my babies are getting bigger. They scratch their feed all over. I have the small canister feeder with the red bottom. Yesterday I filled it up and when I got home from work, it was empty with feed all over the ground. My question is this. Should I refill it every day, since feed is still all over the ground?

Well my babies are getting bigger. They scratch their feed all over. I have the small canister feeder with the red bottom. Yesterday I filled it up and when I got home from work, it was empty with feed all over the ground. My question is this. Should I refill it every day, since feed is still all over the ground?

Welcome to BYC - this is a common issue as it is the nature of a chicken to scratch about as they eat. A simple way to prevent them from scratching out (and wasting) all of the feed you can raise the feeder up off the floor of their coop/brooder and out of reach of their feet. Raise it so that the lip is at about chest level for them by placing it on a board, stone, etc and increase the height as they grow so that it keeps the lip at the desired level to prevent the scratching.

Back
Top Bottom