Messy Ducks

EAhearn05

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Is there anything I can do to keep my ducks from spilling so much food everywhere? When they eat they seem to dump half of the food from their mouth to the ground. I don't like having so much wasted food. They were eating from a chicken feeder, then I tried feeding them from a shallow bucket to see if that would help, but there is really no improvement. Suggestions?

I grabbed some 4" deep 12"x15" plastic tubs that were going to be cast off from a delicatessen. I only put an inch of food in it at a time. Very little gets splashed out or wasted. It's got straight sides so no one can tip it over.

I actually got the goat trough for my ducks too. Unfortunately, it was still bad with waste. I now use a ~4" high cat litter pan filled to and inch or so. I also switched to pellets as crumbles where always EVERYWHERE. Very little waste and since my chickens eat the same thing, they clean up anything on the ground.

I set the auto feeder into a kitten litter pan, so when they spill, they can eat out of the bottom too. Very little waste. I ended up going the same thing with the chickens, putting the feeder into a pan, because they would flick it out and waste it as soon as it hit the bedding.

I switched from crumbles to pellets.
If I could buy the flock raiser in pellet form, I'd go back to feeding that, but I can only find chicken layer pellets here.
There is still some mess, but nothing like it was. I could almost say NO mess in comparison

Back
Top Bottom