Messy hen butts from rooster

I'm having a similar problem. I dewormed to be safe and upped their yogurt intake and it seems like their stools just got looser. It sounds like too much of a good thing can be bad. I'm going to try and find some probiotics. In the meantime, I just read somewhere that a little bit of raw oatmeal helps firm up their stools? I don't know, I might give it a try.

^^^ x 2

Give only a good chicken feed and clean water. Chickens do not need probiotics, they have a gizzard, a totally different digestion system than a human being. They should not be fed dairy. Occasionally some meat, kitchen scraps. But the primary diet should be chicken feed and some grains.

Mrs K

Probiotics can be helpful in balancing the gut flora of both birds and mammals. While simply providing feed and water is a good thing, there may be times when a bird will benefit from an extra input of probiotics. Newly hatched, stressed in any way, or birds who don't have access to free range. Can be provided by artificial means, feeding fermented products including fermented feed, and even access to natural soils and compost. As other posters have stated, dairy is not a good option due to lactose intolerance.

Back
Top Bottom