Adopting a rooster for my hens

Barredrockmama1

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
Pennsylvania
Hello! I recently found a barred rock rooster that is up for grabs, free to a good home and I really wanted to add one to my flock of 10. The previous owner said he doesn't free range and was nice to her since she brings the food and water but was mean towards her husband.. barred rocks are usually pretty docile and I really want to add this one to my flock, I free range from 6-8 in the evenings because my one dog chases any and all wildlife... I have two children ages 7 and 3 and my 3 year old loves helping me with the chickens. I've never owned a rooster before so I'm looking for some advice, I'd really love to get this guy, but I don't want him to feel dominating towards me or my husband who occasionally cares for them also or attack my children. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance everyone.

I wouldn't take on a rooster who has had an aggression issue towards any human ever, especially considering you have small ones.
But take heart. There are often plenty of roosters who need homes who don't have aggression issues. I would keep looking for one, preferably one older than a year so he has had time to work through his crazy hormone phase.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Don't do it.. he's already shown his colors by attacking the husband, and your kids are next in line.

No amount of alleged breed docility will change an individuals behavior.. even the ever famed Silkie.. has it's fair share STEW Pidasso's. :drool

Hello! I recently found a barred rock rooster that is up for grabs, free to a good home and I really wanted to add one to my flock of 10. The previous owner said he doesn't free range and was nice to her since she brings the food and water but was mean towards her husband.. barred rocks are usually pretty docile and I really want to add this one to my flock, I free range from 6-8 in the evenings because my one dog chases any and all wildlife... I have two children ages 7 and 3 and my 3 year old loves helping me with the chickens. I've never owned a rooster before so I'm looking for some advice, I'd really love to get this guy, but I don't want him to feel dominating towards me or my husband who occasionally cares for them also or attack my children. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance everyone.
As my profile box points out, I'm a rooster enthusiast and if anyone is likely to write go for it one might have though I would be that person.
My concern is you, your partner and most of all your children. For any person new to roosters especially if they are to be mainly confined to a coop and run there are things you should know and take heed of.
You, being the main keeper would probably be fine with a rooster with a bit of research. The chances of your partner and children being able to adjust their behaviour to the addition of a male in time to avoid conflict are pretty slim imo.

This article may give you some ideas of the behaviour to expect and why a rooster does what he does.
I would wait until your children grow up more. I can't see there being a shortage of unwanted roosters in the future and my concern is that given your keeping circumstances you are likely to add to that number.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Don't trust breed to mean anything as far a behaviors go. There are good and bad roosters of any specific breed.

I agree, do not risk this one. He has shown he is not to be trusted.

I recently found a barred rock rooster that is up for grabs, free to a good home and I really wanted to add one to my flock of 10.
If you really want one you might go on the Pennsylvania thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section on this forum and chat with your neighbors. You might find something acceptable. But the only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of my own. But those are choices, not a need.

Never leave a young child alone with a rooster. I'd have concerns leaving a young child alone with a broody hen and chicks. Broody hens are known to protect their babies, roosters are known to protect their flocks and young kids have been known to do things that chickens consider threatening. I grew up on a farm with free ranging chickens and know if can work, but I also realize there is some risk. You need to take precautions.

I wouldn't take on a rooster who has had an aggression issue towards any human ever, especially considering you have small ones.
But take heart. There are often plenty of roosters who need homes who don't have aggression issues. I would keep looking for one, preferably one older than a year so he has had time to work through his crazy hormone phase.
This is excellent advice.

There are many good roosters out there- get a proven good one (adult, good around people & especially children, gentle with his ladies) and he will bring you much joy. They add so much life to the yard.

@Mrs. K has helpful guidelines on roosters.

Last edited:
I totally agree with above comment "Never leave a young child alone with a rooster." My daughter was about 3 when I turned my back for a few seconds & Mr Leghorn attacked her! That was the end of Mr Leghorn. That aside, now yrs later all I have are indio gigantes, and all 3 roosters are about as mellow as I've ever seen. They were all raised from day 1 with me in pen a lot, picking them up, hand feeding, etc. though, but I can still pick them up easily & hand feed. They are about 2 1/2 yrs old now.

Duckduckgoosie: "They add so much life to the yard." I agree - the other day all the hens & little ones were happily flopping around doing a group dustbath, but Mr T was standing tall beside them, on high alert, ready to give a warning if needed. He takes his job seriously!

Duckduckgoosie: "They add so much life to the yard." I agree - the other day all the hens & little ones were happily flopping around doing a group dustbath, but Mr T was standing tall beside them, on high alert, ready to give a warning if needed. He takes his job seriously!
What a good boy!

My Mr Fancy Pants came with three ladies, and he kept them so close for weeks & weeks. Flock is slowly folding everyone in. It’s fascinating to see (if you like chicken watching for entertainment, which I so do).

The strutting amuses me so much.

Back
Top Bottom