Metal corrugated roof! Ugh...

Pics
This might be old but 2 cents... Insulation baffles won't really solve anything here. Their purpose is make an "air tunnel" between insulation and the underside of a roof. Since there's no ceiling insulation they would serve no purpose. And besides all that moisture still has to get out. If you haven't solved it yet, I'd probably remove the metal, add a treated or painted plywood deck, tar paper over that, and put the metal back down. Cut vents at the high side and trim out the exterior on the high side with something to protect the vents from the weather but still let them exhaust. I probably would not add any foam to the outside of the plywood without thinking a lot about R values and possible condensation trapping if you don't add enough.

Put up styrofoam under the metal roof, it will insulate for loss of heat. Put vents in the walls, one on each side, then you can limit the air coming in across the coop, on cold nights, close the vents. Should put in a vent that is optional for opening. We also put in windows that we can open to whatever we want for air inside the coop.

Put up styrofoam under the metal roof, it will insulate for loss of heat. Put vents in the walls, one on each side, then you can limit the air coming in across the coop, on cold nights, close the vents. Should put in a vent that is optional for opening. We also put in windows that we can open to whatever we want for air inside the coop.
Unless you live below the Antarctic circle, ventilation is more important than insulation. And they must be protected from wind and drafts. I guess if you lived that far south you'd be raising penguins instead of chickens.
:gig

I have an update on my barn roof. The tin that was on the original hip-roofed barn, and corrugated galvanized steel on the wing barn was replaced with tin, and the "second wing" was added. So it cost me $5 a square foot to cover it (and add on a wing pole barn), and that included labor. I could find nobody to work on an 83 year old barn except an Amish man referred to me by another at Menard's. Got 80 ft of custom guttering swapped for a fishing boat. The interior is very dry, my eggs are clean, incubator(s) are running, and I have to go get another brooder tank. The hayloft beckons as where my incubation and brooding should be,,,any heating in an old oak barn sounds risky though...

I have used card board as an insulator for the roof in the past to prevent dampness. I wanted to put down a thin plywood when we build our roof, but my spouse did not want the added expense. Metal roofs will heat and cool quickly in the winter causing the issue. The cardboard seems to slow down the process and reduce the wet. I have a lot of airflow between the roof and cardboard, so my damp is minimal at best.
I know this is 3 yrs old, but could you still comment on this? I'm wondering how the cardboard is holding up - if it still performs well. I've thought about cardboard as a band-aid insulation /quick fix under my naked metal roof during this extreme heat we're having this summer.

I know this is 3 yrs old, but could you still comment on this? I'm wondering how the cardboard is holding up - if it still performs well. I've thought about cardboard as a band-aid insulation /quick fix under my naked metal roof during this extreme heat we're having this summer.
Most metal roofs reflect heat away. You sure it’s needed?

The key is to make 2 roofs, basically. The most important thing is to leave at least a foot in between materials- so whether you put the cardboard under the metal or above it, leave a foot in between. The top material will shade the bottom material, and the airflow in between roof 1 and roof 2 is instrumental in further cooling. Just sticking cardboard up under the metal roof isn't going to do much.

Or you can use a couple layers of shade cloth- again, you need space in between the layers.

Back
Top Bottom