Metal inside coop?

IndigoAngel

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Extreme NE Indiana
I am fixing to build a coop inside of an existing lean-to on the north side of my barn. My plan is to build a partition wall in the middle of the existing structure (will measure 10'x12' or so), and have a run down the side of the barn measuring approx. 12'x30', maybe longer. The roof slants; it is approx. 20' at the highest and 12' at the lowest. There is a corn crib down the outside wall which will be used for feed/equipment storage. My initial plan was to use plywood to create the partition, with venting all across the top, as well as venting the top of the existing two walls. The fourth wall is the sliding barn door which will open onto the run. I will install a pop door in the existing slide door in case that door needs to remain closed for some reason, and add some sort of windows (maybe frp panel) above the door (facing east).
I have read a lot about metal roofing creating condensation inside of the coop, so i was planning on insulating the roof so I don't get drips on my girls. The people I got my hens from have torn down all their wooden structures inside their barn (they have multiple large open air coops inside of a huge barn), and replacing with all metal caging because "wood is horrible for holding mites" and they want to have as little wood as possible. They have recommended that I don't use wood to enclose the coop inside the barn, but use metal panels (such as metal siding) to separate the coop from the rest of the lean-to.
My question is, would this not cause the same issues as a metal roof? Would it be better to keep the inside wall "open" and not enclose at all? It's a very old structure and I want to eliminate drafts.
Second question: Is ventilation into the rest of the barn adequate or do I need to vent to outside? The run will be covered so the door will be open on all but the coldest/windiest days.
I will post pics as soon as this dreary day will allow enough light to see inside the barn.

venting to the outside is more important than into the barn. The ammonia they produce needs to vent out. It doesn't need to be much but there should be a little air flow going through taking stale air out. Possibly the gaps you have are enough already.

Metal dividers sounds fine and they won't hold mites that is true. The issue with the condensation has less to do with the metal so no you would not have this issue with metal dividers at all. The reason it is an issue with a metal roof is because of the temperature difference and where the roof is located, ie above their heads. On a well conducting material like metal the cold will cause the warm air in the coop (from the chicken heat) to condense when it hits it. Just like on a single pane window in a house forms condensation on a very cold day. The better insulated the material is the less heat exchange and thus the less condensation forms. But inside the coop there will be no temperature differential so no condensation will form like it would on a cold roof.

I’m interested to hear what other people have to say on this. My only input is from my own experience. The only issue I’ve had with metal is it getting very hot in the summer. Not sure how tall the structure is or how far from the metal they’d be sitting.
I would think metal should be fine on any inside wall for sure.

I have a lean - to style coop attached to my barn as well.

Most of my coop walls, and all of the roof is uninsulated metal ..... I do have a bit of condensation from time to time, but overall is not a problem.

The rest of the coop is wood, and, as of over 2 years, have never had a mite/bug issue.

Hope this helps, and your mileage may vary !

Below are a couple of pics from another thread .....

That is an awesome coop !

Mine is on a hill as well, and offered up some challenges also.

View attachment 2007763

I still need to gutter mine, as the down hill side ground, takes a beating from the runoff. The barn roof runs off onto the coop roof, so I get double trouble, and REALLY NEED to address this soon.

View attachment 2007759

Okay, I tried with these pics to more clearly indicate what I'm thinking of doing inside the 'new" coop. Please feel free to offer helpful ideas or tell me where I am off in my thinking - I'm very new to this.

In the first pic, the area outlined in green is future ventilation, simply covering the area between the beam (that I kind of covered up with my line), the roof, and the walls with supported hardware cloth. You can also see the opening to the haymow on the left, which will also be covered with hardware cloth. The wall will be built below the beam.

The second pic, outside view: yellow is the run area, blue is some kind of window or panel to allow light in. Should this be able to open for outside venting? The green somewhat square area is the intended pop door location.

In the third pic, outlined in blue is the wall on the corn crib side. You can see the door to the storage area slightly opened. This is not an outside wall. Would it be adequate to cover this with hardware cloth or do I need to close up the gaps?

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 14
venting to the outside is more important than into the barn. The ammonia they produce needs to vent out. It doesn't need to be much but there should be a little air flow going through taking stale air out. Possibly the gaps you have are enough already.

Metal dividers sounds fine and they won't hold mites that is true. The issue with the condensation has less to do with the metal so no you would not have this issue with metal dividers at all. The reason it is an issue with a metal roof is because of the temperature difference and where the roof is located, ie above their heads. On a well conducting material like metal the cold will cause the warm air in the coop (from the chicken heat) to condense when it hits it. Just like on a single pane window in a house forms condensation on a very cold day. The better insulated the material is the less heat exchange and thus the less condensation forms. But inside the coop there will be no temperature differential so no condensation will form like it would on a cold roof.
Thank you; that makes complete sense. I didn't even think about the heat rising and hitting the cold roof.

Is ventilation into the rest of the barn adequate or do I need to vent to outside?

Welcome to BYC. What a nice area you have to convert for your chickens!

You're in a HOT summer, COLD winter area, right? Do you get heavy snow?

You need to vent to the outside, not just into a larger building. The moisture from the chickens' breath and droppings and the ammonia from the droppings need to escape while fresh air needs to enter.

The usual guidelines are to have 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen and that ventilation is best located above the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost. The goal is to have the temperature and the humidity equal inside and out while protecting the birds from drafts.

This picture is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle is the same:

natural-ventilation.png

As a usual rule, condensation on a metal roof is not a problem if the roof is generously-ventilated at the top and bottom of the slope, though there are some situations/climates where it is unavoidable. In that case it's good to make a thermal break with plywood or foamboard, but foamboard needs to be inaccessible to the chickens because they are notorious for eating styrofoam. :eek:

It's only rarely necessary to insulate walls since the goal is to keep chickens dry rather than keeping them warm.

he people I got my hens from have torn down all their wooden structures inside their barn (they have multiple large open air coops inside of a huge barn), and replacing with all metal caging because "wood is horrible for holding mites" and they want to have as little wood as possible.

Have you already gotten your birds? I'm a little concerned that people are selling chickens while essentially admitting to having a mite problem -- which would spread to anyone they sold them to. :(

In the third pic, outlined in blue is the wall on the corn crib side. You can see the door to the storage area slightly opened. This is not an outside wall. Would it be adequate to cover this with hardware cloth or do I need to close up the gaps?

No, unless there is a howling wind through that area there is no need to close up an interior with anything more solid than wire. The hardware cloth is a good idea for keeping out rats.

You're in a HOT summer, COLD winter area, right? Do you get heavy snow?
Yes, we get both high heat and freezing temps. We can get heavy snow, although usually only a couple of times per season and it generally will melt between storms; we mostly get under 6" at a time. That said, it is Indiana and the weather is incredible fickle in any season. We are just coming out of several 90 degree days and 9 days straight of rain. Today it was only 78.

Thank you for the illustrations; very helpful! One wall of my structure is an outer wall of the original barn so there really is no way to get air flow there except with the venting into the haymow, unfortunately. Basically, I will be cutting the illustration in half, but i would think it will still work if I can get adequate ventilation up top.

In terms of venting to the outside:

There is venting under the eaves (which would be in the storage area but the gaps in the wall would vent the coop) currently, but that is only along one long side. I was hoping that with the venting into the haymow that the air would then go up and out there. I think we might do some kind of elongated, short cupola on the roof. It might look a little funky, but I'm not trying to win any awards for aesthetics, just want to keep the gals healthy and happy. ;)

Have you already gotten your birds? I'm a little concerned that people are selling chickens while essentially admitting to having a mite problem -- which would spread to anyone they sold them to. :(

I have actually had them for almost 3 months. No signs of mites here so I'm not sure what has prompted the removal of the wood, unless they have had a recent outbreak. Or are doing upgrades as money allows and this is precautionary.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out; I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom