metal shed conversion

Jonessa

Songster
5 Years
Apr 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hi all!

We are picking up a free used 8x10 metal shed tomorrow, and will be converting it to a coop for my 7 hens - it will be divided, one half for the coop, one half for storage of chicken supplies.

I would love some advice on how to go about cutting and framing windows and ventilation in a structure like this - general placement, and also specifics on the process. Of course, all openings will be covered in hardware cloth. I have some old large windows (2x3') that I plan to use, so that the windows can be closed down at times (although I plan to leave them open in all but the worst weather); I would also like to incorporate some higher-up ventilation openings. Pictures of what others have done would be appreciated! :)

FYI, we live on Vancouver Island, where the weather is generally mild - warm, dry summers, and cool rainy winters.

Thanks!!

Here is a picture of a shed very similar to the one we are getting.
026862105981_ca.jpg

I would just make it all coop, and put a feed bin in the corner. With that big door, maybe put your main window on the side and roosts opposite that on the other side. Gable vents up top.

You'd probably need some good metal shears to cut into that thing, or a reciprocating saw with a good metal blade may work ok after you start a pilot hole.
80 sq ft. coop. I'd do 20 sq ft of ventilation. A 2' x 8' window covered in hardware cloth on one side, plus a couple gable vents on each peak should get you there. Well, the coop would only be 8 ft deep, so maybe a slightly smaller window would be better. Kind of depends on decisions you decide to make.

Last edited:
Is it completely metal? are there wooden walls with metal sheeting or is this shed made of metal sheeting with metal framing? Are you going to put a floor in there?
How the shed is made makes a difference when installing windows and doors.
It is completely metal. I haven't seen it in person, just hubby went to check it out, and then tomorrow morning we're going to the seller's to dismantle it (to some degree) and bring it home. Hubby said it looked like the wall panels interlocked - so you'd assemble it starting at one corner and add panels working your way to the next corner and so on.
There is currently a wooden floor covered with rubber 2x2' tiles - depending on it's condition, we may redo it and then put down vinyl over it.

If it were my project, I would make a 2x4 "wall" to set the window into on the floor, then put that in place and connect it to the floor and the brace at the top of the wall. The wall would have a 2x4 board under the window and one at the top of the window. Add a 2x4 board laying flat on the floor for the wall to sit on top of (this prevents the ends of the boards from rotting out. A 2x4 at the top of the wall will give you something to connect the 2x4 wall to the metal framing at the roof line. Set the wall in place and mark the window opening, remove the wall, cut the opening in the tin. Attach the window to the 2x4 wall, then pick it up and put it in place and attach securely to the floor and top wall/roof brace. this build will also give you wood to screw the machine fabric to, for critter proofing the windows- either inside or out depending on if you want to go inside to close the window and let the birds poop on hte window sill, or open,close the windows from the outside.
It is alot easier to build, than to describe how to build, lol. Since you can lay the pieces on the floor to build it, you can test fit the pieces before actually putting it together. If you rwindows have "flanges" around the edges, that makes it even easier.

If it were my project, I would make a 2x4 "wall" to set the window into on the floor, then put that in place and connect it to the floor and the brace at the top of the wall. The wall would have a 2x4 board under the window and one at the top of the window. Add a 2x4 board laying flat on the floor for the wall to sit on top of (this prevents the ends of the boards from rotting out. A 2x4 at the top of the wall will give you something to connect the 2x4 wall to the metal framing at the roof line. Set the wall in place and mark the window opening, remove the wall, cut the opening in the tin. Attach the window to the 2x4 wall, then pick it up and put it in place and attach securely to the floor and top wall/roof brace. this build will also give you wood to screw the machine fabric to, for critter proofing the windows- either inside or out depending on if you want to go inside to close the window and let the birds poop on hte window sill, or open,close the windows from the outside.
It is alot easier to build, than to describe how to build, lol. Since you can lay the pieces on the floor to build it, you can test fit the pieces before actually putting it together. If you rwindows have "flanges" around the edges, that makes it even easier.

Hard to describe, yes - but you managed it fantastically! I believe I understand very well what you mean. That sounds like a great way of doing the windows. I think the only thing I would do differently, or at least this is what I'm picturing in my head, is that I won't attach the glass window to the 2x4 window "wall". I think I would attach hardware cloth to the inside of the 2x4 window wall, so that when it was stood up and screwed to the coop wall the hardware cloth would be sandwiched between the 2x4 wall and the coop wall. I was thinking the glass window could be attached on the outside of the coop, with hinges at the top, so that it could be propped open to varying degrees depending on the weather. Does that make sense? Again, hard to describe :D

Back
Top Bottom