Metal vs. wood nest boxes, which is best?

angelseternity

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2015
I am building my coop right now. Looking through all of my options for nest boxes and it seems like most are metal or wood.

Which do you think is better? And Why?

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Either will work, but I personally prefer wood nest boxes as the temperature of the wood is less affected by rapid changes in coop temperature than the metal is. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited:
Wood would be better than metal because you are most likely going to crack an egg with a metal box.
I know my profile picture dos not look good.

There are also plastic nest boxes and some folks like to use the hooded cat litter boxes - gives the hen privacy, which is what they like.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. X2 on Michael OShay's post.

Hi and welcome to BYC. My nest boxes are rudimentary at best - large plastic basins / tubs - my girls don't seem to mind
smile.png

All the best
CT

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

This hen likes wooden boxes but I have another who likes to put her eggs in the sand and another who found a fish aquarium I really leave it up to the lad's to choose but the big thing is to provide a comfortable quiet place ....

Back
Top Bottom