Metzer Farms???

I live in West Virginia, and even though there are other hatcheries closer, I always order geese from Metzer. Last year, I placed an order and all of them arrived in perfect shape. This year, I had to send my order to a post office in Ohio (because Metzer cannot ship to W.Va. anymore), and we drove over an hour to pick them up. One gosling didn't make it, but the rest were ok. They looked a little bit weary from their trip, but they perked up when I gave them water. Also, I discovered that one of the goslings that I requested to be sexed female was sexed as a male. I called Metzer Farm and they are sending me two more replacement goslings free of charge! I will definitely continue to buy my geese from Metzer! Here is a pic of my Embden goslings with their new baby Ancona duck friends : )

Last edited:
I get my FIRST order of 6 goslings next week.I did as much research as possible BEFORE I ordered. The people are super nice, and PATIENT. In hindsight some of my questions were idiotic. Based solely on their customer care, I will be a repeat customer.

I ordered 10 from Metzer, got 11, but at the age of 6 days one developed a respiratory condition (on a Sunday night) and died early am on his 1 week old day. Since he was a bonus duck I wasn't upset with Metzer...as my hubby said, they include it because they expect things like that to happen.

My current 10 are happy as ever, hitting 12 weeks old and doing their job eating bugs. A few more weeks till they start laying.

My order
Crested -M
Buff-F
Cayuga-F
Black Swedish-F
6- Welsh Harlequins (straight run)...ending up with 2 females and 4 males....ok with me as I wanted to cull down to about 6 total ducks anyway.

I do wish a half dozen was the min order as that's what I really wanted, but I got 4 more ducks for the same price as minimum fee+ heat pack.

I just ordered two mallard drakes from Metzger Farms. I am glad to hear people have success with them. I ordered through E-Fowl before. I liked them too. But their minimum order is five. Does any body know if inbreeding is a problem with poultry. I find it cruel and immoral with any animal? Tom

8 weeks old from Metzer farms. They have great customer support and very healthy birds.

Just be aware that waterfowl have different nutritional needs than poultry. I was feeding my goslings starter crumbles for chicks not knowing it didn't supply enough niacin. Ask forum members for help if you have any problems. Specifically miss lydia. Good luck. I know you will be happy with your birds

I ordered 10 Buff Orpington ducks hatched on Monday September 14, and they arrived on Wednesday September 16 all safe and sound, hungry and thirsty but healthy otherwise. When I called to check on shipment the lady I spoke with informed me they were in Carrolton, nearby. and asked that I call back if there were any problems. I would recommend them, I know that I will be using them again in the future.

I ordered a couple of ducklings from Metzer and they weren't in the USPS system for four days. I have no idea if they are alive or not. I'm frantically trying to get a hold of someone to help me at Metzer and find out why the ducklings are going 86 hours without food or water. At this point, I'm not real optimistic about them being alive when they arrive.

The post office tracking system is a joke. I've had orders arrive that the post office tracking said were still at the point of origin.
I hope they are ok. Make sure to have electrolytes ready for them. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom