Meyer Fry Pan Bargain

The 16 week old chickens are still tender enough to eat without slow cooking. The thighs and drum sticks are starting to get a little bit tougher, but still easily chewed. The flavor really didn't increase much from 12 to 16 weeks. They did put on a good amount of fat, though! It will be nice this winter to have such great chicken stock.

edit 10-4-14: I've had a few of these out of the freezer now, and I wanted to say that I am really impressed. The texture of the meat is great!. It has a firmness and substance that I never knew I was missing.

Last edited:
You know, I've been thinking about this and I can buy 50 CX's at Schlecht Hatchery for $76 shipped. More meat, less time, 6-8 weeks My fermenting the feed you can save on the feed bill. I think you might want to check this out. Since you have the plucker and all. Wish I had one.
gig.gif

I will probably raise some next spring. I just wanted to try some traditional birds. I also don't think the CX will be motivated to eat anything other than the feed that I put in it's trough. I have always thought free range chicken has more nutrients, but if the bird refuses to range, then you don't get much benefit.

Last edited:
I will probably raise some next spring. I just wanted to try some traditional birds. I also don't think the CX will be motivated to eat anything other than the feed that I put in it's trough. I have always thought free range chicken has more nutrients, but if the bird refuses to range, then you don't get much benefit.

My CX free ranged with the rest of my flock. They are so much healthier and I even have a couple left that were small on butcher day that are coming up on 13 weeks! They are hilarious chasing after grasshoppers too!

I bought the chicks I wanted, and ten "leanns adopt me" mystery chicks from meyers. I ended up with seven roos to put in the freezer at twelve weeks. I would have growed them out longer but they had been fighting for awhile and started to harass the pullets. One polish roo was only 2.8lbs, the biggest a rir 4lbs. Average 3.5lbs. They free ranged all day, and besides grower feed I gave them lots of duck weed and all the cottage cheese they wanted, I get it free. I know it's cheaper to grow out tho cornish cross, but I don't like them, they look like they are dying when it's time to butcher. I plan on buying the fry pan bargain in the spring,

Last edited:
Oops, hit reply!
100@ .29 cents a piece. I will be caponizing them more to keep them from fighting so I can grow them out to full grown.

I bought the chicks I wanted, and ten "leanns adopt me" mystery chicks from meyers. I ended up with seven roos to put in the freezer at twelve weeks. I would have growed them out longer but they had been fighting for awhile and started to harass the pullets. One polish roo was only 2.8lbs, the biggest a rir 4lbs. Average 3.5lbs. They free ranged all day, and besides grower feed I gave them lots of duck weed and all the cottage they wanted, I get it free. I know it's cheaper to grow out tho cornish cross, but I don't like them, they look like they are dying when it's time to butcher. I plan on buying the fry pan bargain in the spring,
Good job. Those were respectable weights. A lot of people prefer around 4 lbs. Me too.
yippiechickie.gif

That was cottage cheese, I think that helped bring the weight up, I get it for free. I edited it. Using phone.
I'm scared also, seven was a lot of work by hand. I'm building a drill plucker now. I've never caponed either, I figure a 100 will give me good practice, and at .29 each +feed, I wont be out much if I lose some. And they are probably so cheap because most people want pullets, what do they do with the other 50% of the hatch? They usually destroy them, so they are not losing money at .29c.
And yes, 3.5 is a good weight, but being heritage birds you could see the breast size isn't there, I don't mind though, the breast isn't my favorite, the thighs are.

And thanks KCMasterpiece, I've been wondering what birds might be in the deal. I know they change. If you do it again and want certain breeds, keep a eye on what is available, maybe we can look ahead to see what might be extra as far as roo's go. I'm going to try it when I order mine.

Back
Top Bottom