Meyer Fry Pan Bargain

I know this thread is a couple years old now but interesting thread! I've been thinking of possibly trying a few meat birds but I didn't know whether to try these, regular CX's, or some sort of rangers. I think these might take too long for me to grow out and I don't need or want a lot so might not be the best. Also not sure whether to go with Meyer or otherwise.

I just orders some, I will keep any that end up being girls, did any of yours end up girls?
Gimmie, I have read many different posts on threads like this one, and all have said it seems that they send almost exclusively males, and it seems odd with each hatchery claims 90 to 95% accuracy in sexing (some a little more or a little less) but they seem to sex the males 100% right for these orders on one thread one person posted they ordered several frypan specials (can't remember what hatchery or if specified) and he got only 2 or 3 hens out of several dozen orders (and remember most all are 100 or 200 birds per order) I understand some females may have died as chicks or developing to be able to be sexed by dog/other critter. but because of these posts here on BYC I doubt if these hatcheries are not really 99% or better and they wish to stiff us with roos on a pullet order. otherwise how would they get 100% (or close to it) on male accuracy unless everyone who orders the frypan special gets their box under the spout for the autosex breeds.

I've noticed that too. This is speculation on my part but my take on it is that it is easier to tell that a chick is a male when looking in the vent. Telling that it is a pullet is less sure. Practically every hatchery we use is a small business, often family owned. They all have different management. It's hard for me to imagine that they are all out to cheat you by purposely sending you an occasional male. I wouldn't doubt a few might, but all of them? To me that fails the common sense test.

Mike Rowe did an episode on chick vent sexing on his show a few years back. Each vent sexer is doing tens of thousands of chicks a day so they cannot take their time on each chick but have to make a fast decision. I can see how mistakes can be made. I just think it is easier to make a mistake on a pullet than a cockerel. But that is just my opinion. I am not a vent sexer.

Ridge runner I am sure mistakes can and do happen, but I may easily be wrong, but it just seems all too convenient in a way to me. If you are correct and it's easier to sex male, so instead of sexing to chose female, wouldn't it make sense to sex for male? But maybe I am not following through the thought process correctly. As i said I can be wrong. But it seems odd. And as I said they could send mostly sex links and the recipient cannot complain esp if they send males from more than 1 sex link to make sure it's an "assortment". I remember seeing one hatchery that offered an assortment that indicated it was mostly males but had some hens in it, along with the males. also they had one true frypan special. Also I saw on line one hatchery that had an assortment that had either a third or a quarter of the order male the rest female and another that was reverse of that assortment. can't remember who did what, too long ago looking it up. (last five years tho so likely the hatcheries are still open and doing the same or similar specials).

Back
Top Bottom