Meyer Hatchery - 4 of 15 chicks dead

I've asked at all of our area feed/farm stores, TSC included - we haven't been able to find the vaccine for Marek's. My vet said he could come out and administer vx on all the chicks, but all my Aussies were vaccinated when I ordered them...obviously that is going to be a small fortune just for the service call. I can't take them to his office. Where were you able to find vx for your chicks, if you don't mind me asking? Mine will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and something is better than nothing imho...
I found some online that I may order if any of my incubator chicks actually hatch. Here's the link ... www.jefferspet.com/md-vac-cfl/camid/LIV/cp/F7-J7/cn/3501/.

We have a Meyers near us in ohio, but ended up finding chicks at a farm store here for nearly half the price shop bought some. I always was told live animals, of any sort had to be overnighted.

Sorry you lost some. We lost 1 just driving home from town. Pretty touchy little things.

Terry

I found some online that I may order if any of my incubator chicks actually hatch. Here's the link ... www.jefferspet.com/md-vac-cfl/camid/LIV/cp/F7-J7/cn/3501/.

You ROCK!!!
wee.gif

Just had our first shipment from Meyer. We wanted to add some additional bloodlines into our main laying hen flock and as it was only for egg production we thought we would try them.

Completely inadequate customer service...

They state a 100% Guarantee on Live arrival... Hmmmm yet many people are having deaths.

We had an order of 60 chicks, 11 deaths and more looking rough.

They also state they send an extra 4% to cover losses - so its a guaranteed service but they expect losses?
So I would say approx 2 extras in my order - Zero extras received.

When I informed them of this the lady was rude and said they don't want to know today and to call back friday...

Well, I just got my first shipment Tuesday, 15 chicks, one DOA. We lost 2 more in the next 48 hours, both suffering from wry neck. Another one just died this afternoon, although it appears that it may have suffered some trauma in our custody, since it was doing very well just minutes before it's sudden death. I called them earlier today at the close of their 48 hour guarantee period to give them a head count. At the time, I had 3 dead and they were very friendly and happy to send replacements at no extra cost. I was a sucker and bought one more chick while I was in the phone. Darn that chicken math!

So, there were no extras, (how do you send 0.6 of a chick). I'm disheartened that we lost 4 altogether, 2 of them the blue cochin females I waited since January to receive, a Salmon Faverolle that was DOA and one white crested blue Polish that may have been my fault
hide.gif

Overall, the customer service was great. IMHO, the cochin chicks looked weak and iffy from the start, so that was disappointing. I only wish that they could send me exact replacements regardless of availability. And, I was emailed an invoice from them charging me for all four chicks, but with free shipping. I'll have to straighten that out.
hmm.png

I'm glad, in a way, to see that this does happen, and that I'm not unwittingly killing them somehow.

I had then exact same thing happen yesterday! When I opened the box, six were laying on their backs. The could not stand. When I held them up, the stretched their head way back over their neck. This made me think wry neck or Marek's disease. We ordered white ply mouth rock females. This is the first and probably the last time I mail order birds.

Is the purity of Meyer's ok? If we are getting more chickens they won't be from Tractor Supply! We got what was labeled as Whit leghorns and red pullets and we ended up with 4 Amberlinks, 1 red sex link and 1 that I don't even know!
hit.gif

So far very good. I ordered cochins, polish cretsed, brahmas and faverolles. They all were easy to ID in the order and look true. However they are only 6 weeks old now, and they will need to grow a bit more before I know for sure. I don't blame Meyer for the mortality in shipping. I hatch my own chicks too and chicks that appear very healthy on hatch day can still die a few days later. Add to that the rough trip via USPS and the odds can be stacked against them. My 4 replacements arrived intact and are doing well.

Quote:
I have had the same thing happen to other packages. i had a package that took longer than it should have for delivery. I think it was due to the restructuring the Post Office did earlier this year. They shipped the package to Macon then they shipped it back to Atlants and then shipped it to another sorting facility 50 mile South of me. The Post Office is just unorganized.

Back
Top Bottom