Meyers Hatchery Random Chicks Please help identify

2 White Silkie - feathered legs and extra toe.
On the duck wing pattern ones I was hoping maybe cream legbar, Speckled sussex's, or welsummer.... I think maybe one of them is a brown leghorn but size and patterns are different. It looks like there are four different breeds in the brown ones. One of the brown ones really has me stumped though, it's completely different then the others.

Attachments

• CD93FF1C-02A9-439C-9AC2-FCFA4736522C.png
    CD93FF1C-02A9-439C-9AC2-FCFA4736522C.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Don't they have yellow down at hatch?
I am pretty sure females do but males can be darker in color. Simaliar to this one.
Do they auto sex at hatch? I ordered salmon faverolles females and they are all yellow

I have never seen the RIR have the yellow wings? My RIR chicks have always been all red not red and yellow like this. Maybe though...
All of my Rhode Island Reds fro meyer have had this color wings.
I was leaning more towards Orpington on this one?
Black orpington! Very well could be! Could you get some pics of feet, for skin color/feet color!? Thanks.

I am pretty sure females do but males can be darker in color. Simaliar to this one.

All of my Rhode Island Reds fro meyer have had this color wings.

Black orpington! Very well could be! Could you get some pics of feet, for skin color/feet color!? Thanks.
If you click on the photos to enlarge them I included pictures of his feet both the top and bottoms. Tops are mostly black with pink toe tips and white nails, bottoms are white/pink and yellow

I just found this thread now, but I have thoughts on a few chicks:

The black chick:
Next up. I ordered black jersey giants and black Australorps but this chick is not either of those it looks different and is bigger or has fluffier feathers? Color pattern is slightly different too and I think the comb is maybe rose? Not sure yet though it's very flat. Has both blue and black in the down too.
The comb is single, not rose.
The skinny little single comb is sticking up in the middle of the flat area. A rose comb would not have that.

It could in-fact be a Black Australorp or Jersey Giant but could also be barred rock.
No barring, so not a Barred Rock.

I think it could be a Black Australorp or Black Jersey Giant (more likely to be the Australorp, based on the color of the foot bottoms, but I've seen some chicks that don't show their proper foot color at hatch and it turns up over the next few weeks.)

I was leaning more towards Orpington on this one?
Australorps were developed from Orpingtons. I do not think there is any way to tell a Black Australorp from a Black Orpington at hatch. All the obvious points would match (comb type, down color, foot color, no extra toes, no feathers on the feet, no muff/beard on the face, etc.)

I have never seen the RIR have the yellow wings? My RIR chicks have always been all red not red and yellow like this. Maybe though...
My thoughts match yours. I'm not sure quite what it is, but Rhode Island Red would not be my guess.

Next up is this little one. Very interesting pattern and color. Only one that looks like this, another there is another one that is similar but it's color is more muted
This one has a pea comb (small and low, with this one having three distinct little ridges: definitely not any other comb type.)

With a pea comb and dark feet, this chick is probably some sort of Easter Egger. It is definitely not a Wandotte (would have rose comb or occasionally single comb, but never pea.) It is not a Brahma (would have feathered feet).

Several of this color variety but they aren't all the same. I think there are maybe three different breeds maybe four different.
You are probably correct that there are several different breeds in this group. I see one with a single comb, not sure on the comb type of the others. If any have pea combs, they are likely to be Easter Eggers of some kind (although Dark Cornish is a pure breed that has stripey chicks and pea combs). Single comb is more likely to be Brown Leghorn, Cream Legbar, Bielefelder, or Speckled Sussex (maybe some others that I'm forgetting).

Back
Top Bottom