Mice in chicken coop

Just wondering how everyone keeps mice out of the chicken coop?
If you have a pest control company In your town they sell these little boxes that the mice run in and eat the poison and can’t get out and die inside the box and the poison inside doesn’t harm any animals that eat the mouse after if it gets out we have one here the company Orkin gave it to us !

chel too funny. I just went to the coop and was closing it up for the night and seen a lil brown mouse I'm like great I don't have feed in there I have the feed hanging outside in the covered run. but I used peppermint oil 10 drops in all 4 corners of the coop and I also sprayed the bedding of pine shavings in the coop just this morning I read they hate peppermint? does anyone have a barn cat and if so what do you do in winter time??

Ten easy ways to get rid of mice in the coop
1. keep a cat in the coop, however, the cat and the chickens may not like this method.
2. put away food when chickens are done eating, however, chickens are never done eating.
3. put out mouse traps with peanut butter as bait, however, chickens love peanut butter.....
4. put out poison bait. Seems chickens like that too.
5. Hmmmm, put poison bait where chickens cant eat it. No problem, they'll just eat the mice after the mice eat the poison.
6. use plug in "drives away insects and rodents as seen on tv" device, LOL, might as well have just flushed the $19,99.
7. Buy expensive battery operated Rat Zapper and have hubby stick finger inside to test it. Recycle the remains after hubby smashes it.
8. Set up a chair and wait all night with a broom to smash the little buggers when they show up.
9. Burn coop to the ground while laughing maniacally and dancing around the coop.
10. Move chickens into the spare bedroom until the new Fort Knox Coop is built.

Arrrrrrghhh! I hate mice.

chel
:lau :yuckyuck

chel too funny. I just went to the coop and was closing it up for the night and seen a lil brown mouse I'm like great I don't have feed in there I have the feed hanging outside in the covered run. but I used peppermint oil 10 drops in all 4 corners of the coop and I also sprayed the bedding of pine shavings in the coop just this morning I read they hate peppermint? does anyone have a barn cat and if so what do you do in winter time??
My cats are out working winter ams summer time. They do a pretty goid job. My hens also chase mice so they don’t have a chance.

We suddenly have both mice and rats. I am beside myself how to deal with the rats. We have trapped and killed a couple of the rats. The mice are more easily dealt with. Any suggestions that have worked that won't harm the chickens.

Ten easy ways to get rid of mice in the coop
1. keep a cat in the coop, however, the cat and the chickens may not like this method.
2. put away food when chickens are done eating, however, chickens are never done eating.
3. put out mouse traps with peanut butter as bait, however, chickens love peanut butter.....
4. put out poison bait. Seems chickens like that too.
5. Hmmmm, put poison bait where chickens cant eat it. No problem, they'll just eat the mice after the mice eat the poison.
6. use plug in "drives away insects and rodents as seen on tv" device, LOL, might as well have just flushed the $19,99.
7. Buy expensive battery operated Rat Zapper and have hubby stick finger inside to test it. Recycle the remains after hubby smashes it.
8. Set up a chair and wait all night with a broom to smash the little buggers when they show up.
9. Burn coop to the ground while laughing maniacally and dancing around the coop.
10. Move chickens into the spare bedroom until the new Fort Knox Coop is built.

Arrrrrrghhh! I hate mice.

chel
:yuckyuck:gig:lau

Another way to get rid of mice: Get a White Layer duck. My Duck Blanca is very laid back, she rarely moves fast, but if she spots a mouse or a lizard the velociraptor genes come to life and in 8 out of 10 cases the mouse becomes a meal.

I had a severe rat infestation in one of my coops. I moved the birds to another coop and loaded it with rat bait. I shut the coop up tight for a couple of days. I then renovated the coop. Just prior to putting the baits in the coop I took out a ceiling and some inner walls we had put in. It was our first coop. The rats came pouring out as I was tearing out the wood and styrofoam we had in the ceiling. I didn't find any dead rats when I went back to renovate, but I think they went into their tunnels and died. The rat bait boxes have access for the rats and mice to get the bait but nothing else.
RatBait.jpg RatBaitStationRev.jpg
IMG_20180214_123653.jpg IMG_20180216_153530.jpg

Back
Top Bottom