Mice in, or around the coop..?!

naturally killing and eating *a* field mouse is so much different than trapping, boiling and gorging my chickens out on a load of 'protein'.
it's ALMOST as bad as the guy (on here) who feeds his hens roadkill. (IMHO)
And then when you mentioned that their little crops were full of boiled mouse - I nearly barfed
tongue.gif
and then the liver smell...lol

but I got nothing against you - to each their own - I LOVE your enthusiasm! And it's obvious that you love your chickens :) that's what makes this all so interesting! All of our differences...

I Hope you (and your chickens) have a wonderful Easter :)

My chickens free range and I've seen them eat some pretty disgusting things. When my goats were having babies...I won't go into it, but you know what I'm going to say. They also liked the new baby goat "droppings".
sickbyc.gif
And they've been chasing the poor goats around pecking at their udders the last 2 weeks if they get any "bloody discharge" from the birthing, on them. The goats are not happy about that.
I've seen the chickens eat dead baby birds, frogs, toads, assorted bugs, and worms, and fresh piles of manure are their favorite place to start off their days....
Needless to say, I still eat the eggs, and sell them. If it's any comfort, I'm told they're "the best!" I don't tell anyone what I've seen those hens eat though!
tongue.png

If you knew what was in most of your food, you probably wouldn't eat that either! How many "insect parts" are okay with you? The FDA actually regulates it, I don't want to know how many bug parts are in my peanut butter....And what they're feeding cows, pigs and chicken these days...ugh. Mice probably seems a lot better than some of the by-products they force feed cattle on a feed lot. Any factory farming operation is most likely going to be using feed made from things we would consider absolutely unacceptable. I'm about to go on a rant, so I'll get myself under control.
duc.gif

I wouldn't want to cook mice either, but to each their own...I don't think it will effect the taste of the eggs a bit, and as for the ick factor...everything we buy at the store has it, when you choose to "know".

Last edited:
I just thought it was gross to boil mice. You said yourself that your probably wouldn't.
You also said yourself you don't tell folks what your hens eat.
No need for a rant, please! take a breathe.
I'm well aware of "food" facts, thanks.

have a nice Easter

Just a quick glance over this post......****/disease carrying mice into the food chain. Good luck with those eggs my american cousins!

Ok then. Have you seen the video on you tube of the guy that gets road kill, puts it in a pot with holes drilled in the side and bottom. He suspends the pot about 2 feet up and covers the road kill with straw or some other litter.
The maggots that eat the road kill fall through the holes in the pot and the chickens eat the maggots. He says it doesn't really smell too bad! That is also aesthetically disgusting but likely good for the chickens.

Last edited:
I love the idea of feeding mice to my chickens. We have just had poison put down to treat the problem in the house after winter so i cant use them
he.gif
. Our local pet/vet outlet has frozen white mice
big_smile.png
which will do nicely thou. How many do i need to cook up and how often should i do this treat per week, i have 7 hens and 3 ducks. Will the ducks eat cooked mice wouldn't want them to be left out! I could make it into a mice stew for them add some veg mmmmm I'm sure they would like it! Or is this taking it to far!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^ love the last sentence of your post.. "is that taking it too far " .I could just imagine you putting out a full on banquet for them haha :D
This is ourfirst time at having chick's and I'm learning more and more all the time.
Everytime I come on this site something else jumps out at me. :)

Back
Top Bottom