Mice & Rats

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Yes, they can and will if you have spaces large enough to get in. If mice and rats can get in, other things will too. Definitely protect your chickens and block off all holes from the outside. Rodents carry diseases that can kill your birds and other critters of the night can kill your birds too. Build it like fort knox! :)

Good luck and welcome to our flock! :)

[COLOR=333333]Hello and welcome to BYC![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Yes, they can and will if you have spaces large enough to get in. If mice and rats can get in, other things will too. Definitely protect your chickens and block off all holes from the outside. Rodents carry diseases that can kill your birds and other critters of the night can kill your birds too. Build it like fort knox! :)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Good luck and welcome to our flock! :)[/COLOR]

I used chicken wire. If I cover it up how will they survive the Texas heat? Did put some bate outside of the coop

Chicken wire will not keep much out. Mice and rats can get through it and coons and skunks will rip it apart. You need to use hardware cloth instead. 1/4 for the coop, 1/2 can be used on a run.

I wouldn't use any rat bait around your chicken coops. If the chickens eat it, it will kill them. If the mice eat it and get in the coop and the chickens eat the mice, they will die still. The best deterent for mice and rats is to not let them into your chicken coop at all.

Back
Top Bottom