Michigan Chickenstock Has Returned for 2022! Sign In. Sign Up. Show up.

Okay…dumb question…what is land crab?
They live in the land and not the ocean crab that we know in the mainland (US)
jueyeslandcrab.jpg

The female carries the eggs under her belly and then they leave the eggs in the ocean and when they hatch, they come back to the land. I know it is the opposite of turtles.

jueyhembra.jpg

Here is a picture of a male one.

jueymale.jpg
And no, they are not on palm trees. They are usually near beaches or lakes and rivers. They need a close water resouce. If they is muddy areas, the more you can find. My brother always took me to get them and they are very dangerous to grab. Those claws can easily cut a finger. We had a box in the back of the house all raised and we had them in there alive and my mom will feed them cooked white rice, cracked corn and bread until internally cleaned and then, cooking time!

No Mom and Dad were Navy. I was in the USCG for 31 years. PR was a hotspot for drug ops. Local food from the natives was a treat albeit maybe not totally sanitary.
Nice. I am sorry but we have not had natives since the Spaniards killed them all way before the Americans took as as a peace treaty after the Spanish war. After that there are only Puertorican/Americans under Foraker Act of citizenship in 1899.

Black crabs that live on palm trees. The ones I ate were in PR. Kids would climb the trees and catch them. There were shacks around the island that served them. Not fast food joints...wooden shacks near beaches far away from populated areas. But this was back in the mid-80's.
Black crabs are found in palm trees and they can also be poisonous depending on their diet regardling some plant toxins. I have never had any of those, since there were not that many palm trees in the south of the island. These are not land crabs I mentioned. Here is a picture of a coconut crab:

Coconut_Crab_Birgus_latro.jpg

There has always been shacks near the beaches to serve the tourism and many go with the family to either be at the beaches or just to enjoy the different foods. I was born close to the 1960's and I always had McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell and other American fast foods near the city and malls. I always love to go to Piñones area which is on the North East of teh island and make sure I am super hungry and eat all I can find,lol

Nice. I am sorry but we have not had natives since the Spaniards killed them all way before the Americans took as as a peace treaty after the Spanish war. After that there are only Puertorican/Americans under Foraker Act of citizenship in 1899.
Please do not get me wrong. I am not trying to imply anything, just giving the correct information because I know that many people have no idea of who we really are and always confused and we get mistaken by Mexicans. There is nothing wrong with being Mexican either. But just like America, the Englishmen, moved here and then moved the native indigenous people and moved them to reservations, the same the Spaniards did in Puerto Rico and most of the Carribean Island. America today is a combination of European people mixed with central, African and south America people. We are a mixture of the same. They killed the indians, raped the indian women and then when we were given to the US, the Americans did about the same for a while until the Foraker Act. Still as of today we are still a commonwealth to the US, a territory. Benefits are not the same. No SSDI in PR since we cannot vote while living there. We have to be in the mainland. Like I said to my stidents when they never thought that there was anything else in teh world but Mexico, that the Spanish was from Spain but the difference on the way PR speaks it and Mexico was the size and the amount of indigenous people. We are a very little island but Mexico is bigger than Texas. Therefore the original Spanish accent gets lost and mixed with autonomous words. Yet, we both are told that we speak too fast,lol Blame the Spaniards for that one,lol

Back
Top Bottom