MICHIGAN Chickenstock North - 2012 August or September

Seems to me like it is a little late to plan a fall meet, but up to you guys. Another more central location would be Cadillac- still northwestern, but a little easier to get to than Brethren. Something to consider for next year. Grayling and Gaylord are not well located for me, but I would only be coming to meet some of you anyway, and not to buy, sell or trade birds. So my opinion doesn't really count.

And, since I posted Brethren as a location, that will be my vote.

Ok, it's time to tally the votes:
Barton City received 3 votes - Raz, dascountry & Swampducks
Brethren received 4 votes - Snowflake, BobBry, hickchick55 & Brethren49619

Brethren has been chosen by popular vote. I will double check availability for September 22 tomorrow and reserve the park.

I understand everyone's preference has a lot to do with location. Perhaps next year (or whenever someone wants to step forward and organize) a more central location can be chosen, or even one on the eastern side for that region. I hope to meet and see many of you in Brethren, whoever can make it. You don't have to bring birds to sell, swap or buy. Just come and meet others and have a fun time. There's no limit as to how often groups get together, how big or how small.

I will reserve the park tomorrow and let you all know when it is confirmed.

Thanks for voting!
frow.gif

Only 7 people voted? I have a feeling not many people noticed, it being a holiday weekend. I only checked in today at 11 am, I've been pretty much visiting with some of DH's family and have had no time.

Before you reserve you may want to check on the main MI board to see how many might be coming to spread the expense of the rental. Just a thought. Otherwise, good luck.

Here are a few thoughts for what it is worth:

1) Northern Michigan Lamb and Wool Festival
September 29th and 30th, 2012
West Branch, Michigan
This is taking place at the Ogamaw county fairgrounds. This makes me wonder if county fairgrounds would be a thought. Maybe there would be a lower charge??? Not sure, but I know that in N. MI the fairs are all done and the colors are beautiful. Usually warm during the daytime but bring on the jackets and get the s'mores going with the toasty campfire in the evening ;-)
big_smile.png

2) 'Potlucks' Our church that we used to attend up north (Michigan) ALWAYS had a fellowship meal after service EVERY Sunday...Members just prepared a dish (salad, main, dessert, whatever) or possibly two per family. It was based on what the members of the family would consume volume-wise and then it was set on the table for others to serve themselves out of as was everyones dish was. If you like to get seconds and try a little of this and that then by all means bring an extra dish. I would say Bring your own drink and table service (plates, cups, silverware and napkins for each person coming with you) and serving spoons for your potluck dish and then slip them into a bag and take them home to wash. Even large fellowship meals with 300+ people were not difficult or troublesome.
highfive.gif

3) And my opinions don't count at all for anything. Our family has never been to a CS anywhere. Also we do not live in Michigan any longer; we are what we call Michigan Refuges...We still have 50 acres near Cadillac that we couldn't sell when the last employment opportunity fizzled 2 years ago. But we loved Michigan and knew it well...raised lots (1000's) of chickens there and rabbits too! Wish it was ready for you all to use for a CS but alas its not. Likely due to schedules we won't even be in the area then although someday we hope to come to a CS in Michigan even though we are now 'foreigners'
hit.gif

Hope some of this was helpful and thanks for reading!

I didn't vote because it does not really matter to me. If I can come I will go where ever it is. If I remember correctly the first one in Lansing did not have very many folks attend.

Ok, so it's time for me to put in my two cents. The day after CS in Lansing, I sent a private message to Brethren49619 to ask what they thought about putting together a CS North. The entire reason I brought this up was to give those of us in Northern Michigan who could not make it to Lansing an opportunity to have a CS of our own (not saying that the people from S. Mich would not be welcome of course!). I wanted CS North to be held in Grayling only because I figured that since it is considered "The heart of Northern Michigan", it would be centrally located enough so as to make it fair to everyone. Also, it is about as easy to find as you can get. Now, that being said, If it would be more convenient for the West side folks to have a CS of their own, I think that's great! However, that is not at all what I was shooting for. So, just to let everyone know, there is still a CS North being planned for Grayling and of course EVERYBODY is welcome :).

Morning_Song
You must have been reading my mind! Lol! I have put together a crayfish boil for Michigan Sportsman's forum for the last few years. We keep things simple, we do things pot luck style, and we have a blast!! I am currently looking into the Crawford county fairgrounds. I looked into the city park in Grayling, but although the park is beautiful and would be an ideal place, Grayling is not a chicken friendly city. I do have a couple of other tricks up my sleeve though ;).

For anybody who is interested in attending a CS North that would be centrally located in Grayling please feel free to PM me and if I get a few people who are interested, I'll start a thread. :)

Been offline for awhile. I go uo to Brethren a bit. Fish at Tiippy, Hodenpyl. platt, pine, betsie, and other secret places. Like HBHen, don't matter much where just when. I would think this would be more of a meet and greet/picnic thing for us. Always nice to see friends! How's about camping?

Irons park is a no go. I spent a half an hour on the phone with the city manager and although availability through the rest of the year is great, the city of West Branch does not allow chickens, ducks, geese, etc. Not that we have to do buy sell or trade with birds, but it sure would be nice to be allowed to if we wanted.
Obviously, I vote for Barton City though to me the West Branch location suggested by kimmie would be even better. I looked up what I could on line, it would be at Irons Park, seems a nice place. I can't get hold of kimmie to see if she could help with it.

Irons Park (unfortunately, the Irons Park link where I found this info is screwed up and just returns you to the homepage for West Branch)

A Municipal Park located on the West Branch of the Rifle River just S of Houghton Avenue on S Valley & Shrigley Streets. Amenities include: Ft. Austin - a modern playscape, reservable shelters for picnics or weddings, bathroom facilities, tennis & basketball courts. The Rivertrail also runs throughout the park and connects to downtown Victorian West Branch.

http://www.recreationparks.net/MI/ogemaw/irons-park-west-branch

http://www.visitwestbranch.com/

I personally can't justify going to Brethren, for me distance wise it may as well be Lansing, my beat up piece of crap truck won't survive and I can't keep asking 1muttsfan or anyone else to get me there. Maybe Brethren would be find this year and perhaps next year there would be time to research a more central northern location. Even though I live in Barton City I don't consider it or Brethren at all ideal. I do wonder at times if there just aren't enough people up north to bother having one up here. Seems this has turned into more of a "this is what we got, take it or leave it" kind of thing.

WB is closer to a freeway than either of the other locations, and only about a 90 minute drive for me but being this was just the holiday week and I had other obligations I had no time to go check it out or even persuade DH to allow me the use of his vehicle to look. If we are voting today, then so be it.

Irons park is a no go. I spent a half an hour on the phone with the city manager and although availability through the rest of the year is great, the city of West Branch does not allow chickens, ducks, geese, etc. Not that we have to do buy sell or trade with birds, but it sure would be nice to be allowed to if we wanted.
I think that should be the first question we ask when reserving a place.
If the places we look at are anti-chicken then we tell them that we won't do business with them.

It's a small thing, but at least we can keep money out of those towns.

I think that should be the first question we ask when reserving a place.
If the places we look at are anti-chicken then we tell them that we won't do business with them.

It's a small thing, but at least we can keep money out of those towns.
Exactly :)! That is exactly what I told both the city of West Branch and the city of Grayling. I was very polite, but I think I made my point.

Back
Top Bottom