Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Sorry I've been away so long! Apparently, doing a third masters, working full time, joining a new therapy cohort with the state, trying to manage a small farm, and keeping a social life are not wise to combine. I am only on here today because I'm sick and my doctor told me to stay home from work and take it easy.

Since the last time I was on here, I have gotten about 15 Rees Line Legbars. I have around 10 cockerels and the rest hens. So, I will have several cockerels/roosters for sale once they grow out. They are pure Rees Line and will have some great genetics. I can already see a HUGE difference between them and my Legbars from 3 different lines of Greenfire birds I've gotten in the past. Please PM me if you'd be interested in a cockerel or two and I can let you know when they're grown out and I've done my selections. :)

sorry about the duck that really is to bad,after spending so much $$ But at least you know what took her

welcome back
frow.gif
don't need any roosters but would love to see some pics

could be fowl pox, the scabs look like what I had on some hens a few yrs back

Sorry about your duck, and I agree, either bury her deep, or better yet in the trash. Botulism lives LONG in the soil! The hen with one side of her face messed up could have had an injury; I would think pox would affect both side of her face at once. mary

Lady, scabs look possibly pox-y but not that white.... ??? Eye worm, mg, coryzoa??? Idk just trying to jog anyone's memory.

My roo with the mystery jung ailment is going downhill. Lungs have a rattle. Might have to suck it up and try the dr's again, doing more denaguard research tonight to see if it is used for more than mg

According to that article and others that I've read, "Coryza, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Pasteurella multocida, E coli, Strep, Chlamydiosis, Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale" are all bacterial infections. The round of antibiotics that I gave her did nothing. While it's entirely possible that the bacteria are resistant, I would be surprised if that were the case considering this flock has never before been treated with antibiotics, nor do we have many other operations in the vicinity that would have. So I'd consider that unlikely but not out of the question, stranger things have happened. They just got de-wormed this past month so I would not suspect parasites. But that's why I'm treating it as a viral infection (even if it were fungal) and keeping her quarantined, on a healthy diet of feed, vitamins, and the probiotic works because that's pretty much all you can do with a virus. Looking at the pictures of fowl pox on the web and reading the merck manual on it, it doesn't seem that there's one consistent presentation of the scabs but it does seem that fowl pox is the only viral infection that presents with the scabs. Most other respiratory diseases involve everything but. That's why I'm leaning that way. But maybe I've missed something, who knows.
hu.gif

I lost a few birds this year (interestingly from the breeder in Muskegon who is selling on CL). None of the symptoms fit anything 100% either. I personally think that this weather is not good for their immune system, and then birds migrating at weird times of the year are just bringing in new diseases or hardy diseases that are hitting our weaker birds . Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom