Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I am selling a proven breeding trio of heritage turkeys. Tom is a Narragansett carrying the gray gene (can and has produced Oregon Gray, Midnight Moon, Blood Moon and other lovely colors), hens are a pure Bourbon Red and a Red Bronze. All are just coming on one year old, hens are laying fertile eggs almost daily and should continue to lay through June if eggs are collected regularly. These turkeys are not related to each other and I have poults from this breeding for display. $150 for the trio. Located in Shelby Township, Macomb County.

babies

tom

baby

bronze hen
red hen (showing her saddle)

Last edited:

Happy to say that my son's favorite bird Hawkeye is finally a first time parent to 3 chicks. Waiting to see if the rest hatch. I do hope so.

The adults look pretty scruffy after a couple of months of breeding, but they will look lovely again once the urge to procreate passes and they regrow those feathers.

Turkeys are the sweetest, most intelligent and "helpful" poultry friends. They love to follow you around, give opinions on what you're doing, and help (get in the way) whenever possible.

Does anybody have any good suggestions as to were to take a hawk for an autopsy? We had a Cooper's Hawk in our barn today. My brother thought it was a cat until he went to go look at it, it took off up to the front porch of the house and got under it. And while they were trying to get it out of there, it dropped dead on them. They said it was acting funny as well, and it seeking to wiggle under the chicken wire I've got wrapped around the porch to keep the girls from getting under the porch when I have them free ranging, that had to be a clear sign that it wasn't alright, as it should have just flapped and taken off. Hopefully it just injured itself and had internal bleeding that did it in. but would just like to make sure.

Couple of shots my brother got of him around the porch before he got under the porch.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any good suggestions as to were to take a hawk for an autopsy? We had a Cooper's Hawk in our barn today. My brother thought it was a cat until he went to go look at it, it took off up to the front porch of the house and got under it. And while they were trying to get it out of there, it dropped dead on them. They said it was acting funny as well, and it seeking to wiggle under the chicken wire I've got wrapped around the porch to keep the girls from getting under the porch when I have them free ranging, that had to be a clear sign that it wasn't alright, as it should have just flapped and taken off. Hopefully it just injured itself and had internal bleeding that did it in. but would just like to make sure.

Couple of shots my brother got of him around the porch before he got under the porch.
Keep it cold and call the DNR.

The adults look pretty scruffy after a couple of months of breeding, but they will look lovely again once the urge to procreate passes and they regrow those feathers.
Do they molt after breeding 'season' to grow new feathers.......or just preen them to look good again?

Back
Top Bottom