Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Quote: Depends on how she reacts to the move/disturbance, whether she'll still sit on them or not......
....but the broken egg mess is almost a guarantee of a rotten mess which could cause a whole slew of problems.
There are so many different ways to handle a broody.......my post above is what I would personally do, looking at the long game.

ETA: this thread is chock full of stories and good place to ask for advice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

Last edited:
Nice!
I need to put up some more shade cloth on run today...thanks for the reminder.
Yep, it's been quite the popular spot to hang out at today with the girls, even with me making all sorts of racket there. It also might be because there's been a bunch of turkey buzzards hanging out in the field today. guess when they drilled some beans into it last Thursday they might have run over something out there.

Depends on how she reacts to the move/disturbance, whether she'll still sit on them or not......
....but the broken egg mess is almost a guarantee of a rotten mess which could cause a whole slew of problems.
There are so many different ways to handle a broody.......my post above is what I would personally do, looking at the long game.

ETA: this thread is chock full of stories and good place to ask for advice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread
So here's the sitch,

An egg was broken, it got yolk and stuff on other eggs. I already moved the the eggs away fro the broken one, but they still had yolk on them. WHen I came back to collect later, she had taken up shop.

I do have a basket of eggs. I haven't stored them properly or anything, but I COULD clean out the soiled eggs, set new eggs, and give her some space away from the rest of the chickens (secluded inside the run).

Thx guise! I'm going to get things sorted out this evening and hopefully have a broody hatch some eggs. I have enough eggs I'm willing to try it live so to speak

Well I have a make shift nest box built and placed in the run. She's currently sitting on the eggs I moved in there.

Of the 14 she was sitting on, 8 were heavily soiled. 6 were not so bad. I'm going to still set cleaner/fresh eggs under her though.

Other than a few odd pieces I need for the door and pop door, and a coat of paint on the inside of the plywood, I could be ready to wire up the hoop coop and get the rangers out in the new coop.
wink.png

Well I have a make shift nest box built and placed in the run. She's currently sitting on the eggs I moved in there.

Of the 14 she was sitting on, 8 were heavily soiled. 6 were not so bad. I'm going to still set cleaner/fresh eggs under her though.
Great!
I assume she's protected from the weather and cannot get back to the other nests?
So you're using the semi-soiled eggs as 'fakes' and will replace them with a fresh set as soon as you're sure she'll sit tight in the new place?
Best of cLuck!! Broodies and babies can be such a joy....except when they're like what you just went thru, haha!

Mr Rooster still runs with a limp. he walks ok, but he has quite the limpy gallop when he's running.
It can take weeks for a gimpy leg to totally heal.

Back
Top Bottom