Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

My wife works for DTE, so those of you that are out of power...you might get her on the phone if you call there today. She got called into work today because there are so many power outages.

I'm starting my countdown today....8 days and counting till I get my chicks!
wee.gif
I can't wait!
celebrate.gif
I hope they all make it due to the cold weather.

I saw 5 rooster pheasants this morning...so I went out and bought 100lbs of cracked corn for them. I love watching them. Especially in the spring when they bring their little ones out.

Did I mention 8 days till my chicks get here?.....lol.

My wife works for DTE, so those of you that are out of power...you might get her on the phone if you call there today.  She got called into work today because there are so many power outages. 

I'm starting my countdown today....8 days and counting till I get my chicks!:weee I can't wait! :celebrate I hope they all make it due to the cold weather.

I saw 5 rooster pheasants  this morning...so I went out and bought 100lbs of cracked corn for them.  I love watching them.  Especially in the spring when they bring their little ones out.

Did I mention 8 days till my chicks get here?.....lol.

Woo hoo!!! Almost here!

I get my seeds from Fedco, good seeds and a good price. I also like their policies.

So sorry mom, I hope your "cat" project works DH and son say you need to disguise them as grouse. Not sure why grouse.

I finally have eggs.......and the single egg on the lid is the first from my 9 month old Orloff....Boris. She worked so hard on laying that egg today.
love your egg assortment,

mom sorry for your loss..

No power here this morning - and I have the flu, and there are eggs in the incubator
barnie.gif

So, out in the10 degree morning dark to fire up the generator. Which had a dead battery, despite being plugged into a trickle charger. Have to check on that later.

Jump started the generator. Power now on to potential chicks. But, power cord that plugs into the house to power the furnace, water pump, refrigerator and outlets does not fit the outside house plug - never realized that there were two different configurations of the plugs.

Down to the office to pick up the other cord.

Come home to find power is now on
roll.png
. BTW, other cord fits fine.
I was reading Crazy Chicken Ranch's post on facebook on how she used candles to keep her incubater warm during power outages. Might want to go and read up on it.

That was some wind here last night. Some damage here but manageable. I already fished a fence panel out of the pond. The back tent coop has a destroyed wall but it is too windy to try to repair. Chickens are OK though, they just don't like the flapping noise.

So, when you order from the hatcheries (McMurray, Meyer, etc) is there also generally a shipping charge? I like to put things in my cart and play around with shipping date, but haven't even gotten so far as to seeing if there are shipping charges or not. I almost had DH convinced to get me chicks for my birthday (a few weeks ago) but we decided that we'd better hold off until April.

My sick hen (with the respiratory issue) is sounding a little bit better. I gave her tylan injections for 2 days, and have switched over to Tylan in her water now. The other one (that I was treating for vent gleet) is not improving. She really stinks things up too, with her near-constant trickle of feces and urine, so we'll be culling her this week.
sad.png

So, when you order from the hatcheries (McMurray, Meyer, etc) is there also generally a shipping charge?  I like to put things in my cart and play around with shipping date, but haven't even gotten so far as to seeing if there are shipping charges or not.  I almost had DH convinced to get me chicks for my birthday (a few weeks ago) but we decided that  we'd better hold off until April. 

I ordered from McMurray and shipping for 25 chicks is $11 and some change...for 50 chicks is $15 and some change. I changed up my order about 5 times from what I originally ordered....they were very nice each time I called to change it. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Snow does not fall off my hoop roof as well as I was hoping. I picked up a bunch of card board peices, big 3x4 peices. Going to fit them under the hoops between the tarp and hoops that is, in any spot that look like it could become a snow bowl... I may just pick up a few more pipe and fit them in the spaces as well. will be fun getting them around the top wood though. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom