Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I used DE before and i know ash is supposed to be good but keep dust in mind... mine overdid it and made dust clouds. Kids.

Whatever you do keep a good amount of it you will prob need to re do it at least once a week for flinging and pooping...

I didn't have enough the year i did it and let me tell you you CAN see chicken disgust. Lol. Now i make them brave the cold and go under the camper and in that sand.

Hi MI group, I just wanted to let you guys know my username changed do to fear for my families safety by our government officials if they saw my posts. My old username was deannag1160.
Hopefully I can share the entire story with you guys soon. I'm waiting for criminal charges to be finalized...

Don't know what's going on, but sorry to hear your troubles. Hope it can all work out for you.

Wood ash can create a lot of dust, and birds have very sensitive respiratory tracts. If you are going to mix in ash, best to do it outside. I would not use ash myself, as a dust bath is supposed to be a gritty substance like sand or dirt that can be shaken back out of the feathers along with skin flakes and other debris.

For those who use Diatomaceous Earth in their coops, DE is considered a potential respiratory irritant, and can contain some of the silica that can cause silicosis - a very serious lung disease. The natural forms are considered to be safe, while those used for (eg) pool filtration are very dangerous and should not be substituted for the natural and food-grade forms.

DH just texted. So far he's gotten 1 doe today. Pretty nice out...I just may have to sit tonight & see if that 8 pt shows up....

Though, I should be cooking. I'm taking dinner to our deer processor & his crew tomorrow night. Lasagna for 15. Then next Saturday I take them their favorite...Mexican (for 20). Been doing this for them the last 3 years for each of the Saturdays during firearms....oh, & cheesecake, too; that's the only thing his daughter cares about :D

My birds go on their own and will dust bathe when ever I burn sticks and twigs. I don't put it in the coop. It's supposedly helps to get rid of mites. I must say, that I don't see much in the way of mites come the end of fall, and after the spring burn from the winter fall... You can just mix poultry dust in the sand you use for the dust bath, or DE.

Yeah, now DH just phoned in he got a 9pt- 2 deer comin home tonite. Can't ask for better than that. Do chickens need to dust bathe in the winter. Mine have 1 outside, but the snow will cover that up soon.

Congrats to all that got some food for the freezer today! And for those that didn't ... plenty of time yet!

Opa, hope all went well this afternoon & you have gotten to fill your tummy (& all critters between here & Novi are still safe :D )

Last edited:
Well all of the slow animals in eastern Livingston county are now in much less risk. As soon as I was released from the hospital my brother took me to get something to eat. I'm now home and headed for the recliner

i

Back
Top Bottom