Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

We put 5 nine week olds out to the coop today. The male in the group has started crowing and I don't want to hear that in my house! In couple weeks the next group should be feathered enough to join them. I sure am enjoying the warmth. Maybe we can get the coops cleaned out really good this time.

So today at work (tsc) we found a 4 legged chick (amberlink) in the st run bin.
Totally healthy and def cool to see.

I wonder if it was a double yoker? you know almost looks like it was another chick trying to develop. i cant believe they didn't catch that at the hatchery...wild

Hi Fuzzy.  Keeping my fingers crossed for your girl.  It's been a hard winter in all sorts of ways.

Yes, for everyone.
Things have been rough on the homefront, but all in all looking ok. I think the move will be good for us. The warmth at least is a blessing!

DH checked on her for me when i went to work this afternoon, said she looked ok. It will be stressful, waiting. She has been a strong girl thus far but she's my baby and i worry!

When I awoke this morning I changed the time on my wristwatch and the microwave, made the coffee, and sat down at the computer to work the morning crosswords. When I looked at the time displayed on the screen I realized that somehow I had thought that it was now Sunday.

Never did like DST. When I was a very litte kid going to bed when it was still light out gave me an ever abiding distaste for the system. I once read that someone said that it was a government attempt to make us a more productive day. Similar to cutting one foot off the top of a blanket, sewing it onto the bottom, and then trying to convince us that we now have a longer blanket.

So far it looks as the the snow is going to leave us gradually. Hopefully it will continue to do so and not cause massive flooding. Once the bitter cold does leave us I'd like to get in some steelhead fishing and flooding tends to make that difficult.

@uchytil I've constructed my own hive bodies and supers based on just buying some frames (http://www.dadant.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_39) and building around them. I think I still have some patterns in the garage but I need to do some digging. You can also buy a single frame kit and copy that.
wink.png

I have an idea for a "stealth" hive that I want to try to build when I can get out to the garage (wood shop). In the meantime, I'll look for some on-line plans.

ETA: Plans http://www.michiganbees.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Hive-Bodies_20110323.pdf
It would be nice to build every aspect of the hive. Thanks for the link.

Anyone buy any grape vines in Michigan? And if so where? I have two kinds now but they were on the property when I bought years ago. Concord and some green variety. I make wine from my cherries, apples, maple syrup, and concords at present. I want to plant a few short rows of Muscat and maybe Pinot? Anyway, if you have solid info and have purchased only please. Thanks!

I am uncertain of the type of grape, but Fruitland in Grand Rapids had grape vines for sale last year. My parents picked up some.

Back
Top Bottom