Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Once again the day is starting with cold and snow, but all we have to do is wait a few more days and the temperatures will finally be in the 50s. I've really got to kick it into high gear this week. The apple trees need to be pruned and sprayed. Then I've got to clean out a couple of coops so I can get the Welsummers and Vorwerks into their own pens. Then hopefully David and I can go steelhead fishing on Monday.

Additionally I have to spend at least a half day working at a customer's house and I should be getting a call from the equipment company to coordinate the delivery of our dozer on Thursday or Friday. The barn I had intended to put it in has a door that isn't tall enough so I will have to move equipment around in the other barn to be able to get in under a roof.

Also I don't see how it would be possible to drive it off the trailer and put it away. We will probably take it to the woods and try it out.

Last spring I purchased 6 black sex link and 8 ISA brown pullets to replace my rainbow flock of laying hens. I enjoyed the variety of color and feathers exhibited by the rainbow flock but they were getting old and egg production had dropped so I reluctantly made to decision to replace them with high production birds.

Anyone looking to have a high egg production flock should definitely consider the BSL or ISAs. The BSLs are a more attractive bird than the ISAs and egg production is quite similar. I keep track of how many eggs my flock gives me and the 14 birds have produced 760 eggs since January 1st.

So does everyone see the "Backyard Chicken Healthpack" all over the page today? Has anybody tried it & what are your thoughts for it?

I have never used it, but I'm always on the lookout for different things, any information to continue my self education.

What caught my eye was the statements along the side... organic, no egg discard, etc. I just pulled up the page & thought I'd read into it. My personal opinion just by looking at the site... not too impressed. It may help promote the overall wellness of the flock, but it's not cost efficient.

There are 3 products to add to the water supply, and each product should cover 90 gallons of water. One product is to promote intestinal health, another to improve water quality, and the third is to "aid in improving performance in the presence of worms"... it's not a "wormer" specifically, but helps offset "worm related issues".

My first impression was... Would the results really be all that different from the products I already use with my own flock? Occasional electrolytes (in hot summer months), yogurt, ACV, DE, etc? Probably not. ACV is great for promoting intestinal health, especially with the added probiotics from the yogurt, and while DE is not really a good "wormer" it does assist in that area as well, and there's no egg discard from it.

My second thought... so what's the price on this? I pulled up Jeffers --- $40 plus $6 shipping. Hmm. The 20lb bag of DE is a quarter of that price & lasts for a couple years. The ACV is $5 for the large 32oz bottle & enough to treat their water for months.

Overall, I think it's not a great deal... but this is all just my personal opinion and of course I can't make a firm account of it's pros & cons without trying the product. While I don't plan on trying it here, it might just be the solution someone else has been looking for.

Let me know if you've used it & what you think about it. :)

She might be broody. Make her get up so you can see. Or don't. Up to you.
smile.png
she's not leaving at all?
Darn, she was up and out last night and I checked this morning and there was 1 egg, but she's not sitting on it apparently. This is only the 3rd egg i think she has laid in a month. Although she's not quite a yr old yet and i know muscovies don't lay eggs like the Campbell's do. Thanks

I think most of those type of package deals are very overpriced. A little research can get you the same results for a fraction of the cost.
Another deal of similar ilk are the preassembled waterers using nipples. You can purchase the nipples for $2 or less and it doesn't take a degree in mechanical engineering to figure out how to place it in the bottom of a bucket.

Good luck to you on your interview RaZ, and thank you for the good news concerning hogs!

I have some good news of my own on the potato front. While the two smaller potatoes are definitely mush, the largest is still firm and strong, so I think it may still sprout. Since my intention in buying just 1 pound was to grow my own seed potatoes for next year, I think this one large potato may be enough.

I am stil hopeful that Urban Farmer Seeds will prove an upstanding merchant and send me a few extra. If they do, I will reward them with additional purchases, if not I will spend my money elsewhere.

Our TSC doesn't have squat right now.  Two bins with a smattering of feathering pullet assortment that looked distinctly like one breed per bin, leghorn and australorps.  And that's ALL they had.  I'll think on the other two options, thanks for the suggestions. :)  

But question.  Where is TSC getting freedom rangers?  I thought Townline didn't carry them. :idunno

I just looked it up and Townline doesn't affiliate with Freedom Ranger farms so I'm not sure where they got them from but I did get actual FR. They also had a few ISA Brown ,white Leghorns, and black Jersey Giants left but I'm sure those are gone by now with the price drop.

Anyone looking to have a high egg production flock should definitely consider the BSL or ISAs. The BSLs are a more attractive bird than the ISAs and egg production is quite similar. I keep track of how many eggs my flock gives me and the 14 birds have produced 760 eggs since January 1st.
I'll second that. My BSLs and ISAs were egg machines.
I won't get ISAs again just because they are not the friendly bird that I want. They are not mean or anything, just not a bird that can tamed.
The BSLs are quite pretty, especially in the bright sun. Mine always gave extra large and jumbo eggs including a few that were off the charts, 100 grams +. And they were very friendly.

I too keep track of my eggs and what I'm getting now are mediums (~45 - 50 grams).
Regarding the proposed GAAMP change for Site Selection, a special meeting of the commissioners has been called for April. April 28th, 2 pm.
Michigan Municipal League
1st Floor Training Room
208 N. Capitol Ave., Lansing

Notice the location! The MML is a vocal opponent against backyard chickens and small farming. They have 11 paid lobbyists on staff to influence elected officials and appointed bureaucrats. It will be a tough fight but your letters and phones calls to the commissioners do help. Please keep it up.

I'm so excited about the warmer temperatures coming up! I put my ducks inside the barn back in December because I didn't have a way to heat their water out in the run and recently discovered the door to the coop was frozen partway open. :-( I have been trying to patiently wait for it to thaw but I'm sure my girls are getting antsy! I also doubled my flock by picking up some adult Khaki Campbells and ducklings (Pekin and Rouen) from TSC. Eggs, eggs, eggs!

The hubby and I decided to plant a lot of seeds in the house to figure out what was still viable and to our surprise, almost EVERYTHING has sprouted so far. This was most unexpected and I'm slightly panicking because I don't know if they'll do well in the house for another two months. The green beans are getting rather large for planting containers!

SillyChicken, I went to the Fiber Expo and came home with a drop spindle too. I didn't realize you were so close.

Last edited:
Hi everyone been along time.. to many pages to catch up on.

Welcome to all the new people..

Does anyone have any fertile guinnea hen eggs or muscovie duck eggs they are willing to sell /ship.. i will be traveling to saginaw from oscoda on april 2. if your close to sag.. i can pick up eggs.. really wanting to use either of these eggs for my next hatch.. if anyone can help me out i would appreciate it.. thank you

Just wondering if i should dig out my garden.. there has been years that i was at peak of mushroom season by april 2nd.. and look at this year.. what kind of growing season will we have this year if it keeps up..

Back
Top Bottom