Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I've been practicing with a drop spindle that my aunt gifted me. She uses a spinning wheel, so had no use for it. I'm attempting a very fine yarn with mine that I plan to use to knit her a floppy hat. It is hard to keep the thickness even, but from the video I watched that taught me how to use the spindle, you want just enough twist that the twisted part is just short of shrinking in length.

which TSC had FR? we were in Lowell TSC yesterday they had 2 bins of chicks, 1 said st.run, 50Cents and 1 said pullets $1.00ea. both looked the same, pale yellow, not sure what they were? FR I would have bought,,,, we paid a lot more then that from a FR farm 2yrs ago they were very good
Anyone looking to have a high egg production flock should definitely consider the BSL or ISAs. The BSLs are a more attractive bird than the ISAs and egg production is quite similar. I keep track of how many eggs my flock gives me and the 14 birds have produced 760 eggs since January 1st.
thumbsup.gif

I had a spinning wheel when i was a kid, it was a smaller plastic version, i love using it.. hmmm wish i still had it.. i knitted alot of things on it, b4 i learned to knit with needles.

How do ya'll deal with egg eating?

I'd found a few empty duck egg shells, so I was being extra observant. Well, yesterday morning I found my favorite hen in the process of opening up a duck egg (pecking at it very hard, which resulted in it cracking open). I threw her out of the coop, picked up that egg, and debated what to do. Culling her came to mind, but she is truly my best mother hen ever. She keeps the chicks safe until they are as big as she is!

Most of my wooden dummy egg have gotten lost. So I ordered some ceramic eggs to put in the place where the ducks lay their eggs (they don't sleep in the coop, never have, but they do use it for egg laying) and the actual nest boxes. I am usually quite quick about picking up eggs. The ducks lay before the sun comes up, though, the chickens take their time. So I get the duck eggs up during morning chores, but I guess she was faster than I was most mornings.

Should I increase protein? They're getting dumor layer pellets. And oyster shell.

I did hear laying on the floor can lead to egg eating. But the ducks don't exactly like to lay in their house, nor can they access the nest boxes like the chickens.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone here. I am new to BYC and am new to the world of chickens as well. I just posted my coop build on here too so take a look and give me feed back!

How do ya'll deal with egg eating?

I'd found a few empty duck egg shells, so I was being extra observant. Well, yesterday morning I found my favorite hen in the process of opening up a duck egg (pecking at it very hard, which resulted in it cracking open). I threw her out of the coop, picked up that egg, and debated what to do. Culling her came to mind, but she is truly my best mother hen ever. She keeps the chicks safe until they are as big as she is!

Most of my wooden dummy egg have gotten lost. So I ordered some ceramic eggs to put in the place where the ducks lay their eggs (they don't sleep in the coop, never have, but they do use it for egg laying) and the actual nest boxes. I am usually quite quick about picking up eggs. The ducks lay before the sun comes up, though, the chickens take their time. So I get the duck eggs up during morning chores, but I guess she was faster than I was most mornings.

Should I increase protein? They're getting dumor layer pellets. And oyster shell.

I did hear laying on the floor can lead to egg eating. But the ducks don't exactly like to lay in their house, nor can they access the nest boxes like the chickens.
Same problem I'm having. I moved two eaters to another coop. Now they eat their own. I still have an eater in the main coop. I don't think there's a good solution other than a roll-away nest box. I've tried treats, fake eggs (golf balls), and stern talking (lol). Nothing seems to make a difference. I also feed pellets, an organic mix, oyster, and grit. Maybe winter doldrums? In any case I think a roll-away box makes the most sense.

I can only speculate on why a hen would be eating eggs. My guess would be a protein deficit but I have no proof. Maybe you could try a supplement of wet cat food or tuna and see what happens.

which TSC had FR? we were in Lowell TSC yesterday they had 2 bins of chicks, 1 said st.run, 50Cents and 1 said pullets $1.00ea. both looked the same, pale yellow, not sure what they were? FR I would have bought,,,, we paid a lot more then that from a FR farm 2yrs ago they were very good
thumbsup.gif

Dundee TSC. Glad you had a good experience with them, this my first try with them (25 birds) and I'm raising them free range with 25 CornishX.

I can only speculate on why a hen would be eating eggs. My guess would be a protein deficit but I have no proof. Maybe you could try a supplement of wet cat food or tuna and see what happens.

I have had it randomly in my flock. Just the other day had a RIR hen go at an egg on the floor of the coop and bust it. Yet yesterday I had one laying on the floor all day long with no incident. I feed 20% grower with 24/7 access to oyster shell. I would guess it happens once every month or so.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom