Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Im from lapeer and breed cochin bantams and only have 7 silkie hens with no roo yet. But try star bright farm in brown city. Not sure if she has any for sale.

Thanks mindylee for the suggestion!
smile.png
I remember now seeing ads from Star Bright Farm on our local craigslist before. I will contact her and ask.

Morning everyone! I'm in Holly, Michigan, just a bit south of Flint. No chickens yet, but if I'm here, that's because I am thinking about getting some. Doing tons of research on coops, runs, brooding, breeds, etc. Wanting to raise chickens for eggs. Township ordinance here allows 3 hens and no rooster, so a very small flock, which is OK. I only have 2 people to feed, and I think 3 of the right chicken could provide plenty of eggs for the 2 of us!

Any suggested breeds for the cold, frozen north? I have read that golden sex links / golden comets might be a good choice. Any other suggestions?

Well the pup seems to be on the mend. Acting totally normal now, though he's off his food a little and I have to put his meds in peanut butter to get him to take them.

The hens are finally starting to up production, I've gotten at least 10 eggs the past 4 days so I suppose I can stop threatening them with the crockpot. Who knows what they'll do NOW though since it was -7 here this morning. Come in spring! We're ready already!!!!!
Good to hear!! Was there no real diagnosis? Maybe he just ate something abrasive?

Morning everyone! I'm in Holly, Michigan, just a bit south of Flint. No chickens yet, but if I'm here, that's because I am thinking about getting some. Doing tons of research on coops, runs, brooding, breeds, etc. Wanting to raise chickens for eggs. Township ordinance here allows 3 hens and no rooster, so a very small flock, which is OK. I only have 2 people to feed, and I think 3 of the right chicken could provide plenty of eggs for the 2 of us!

Any suggested breeds for the cold, frozen north? I have read that golden sex links / golden comets might be a good choice. Any other suggestions?

All of the sex linked breeds are good layers, but none can beat my leghorn. She's laid an egg everyday since I got her. My australorps and buff orphingtons lay around 6 eggs per week each too.

Ibrykowski- where are you located..and are you far from saginaw, I would like muscovie only.. if you could figure out what eggs are muscovie and if they are pure. i would pay for shipping. thank you for your offer

farmerboy your girl looks so content..

Last edited:
welcome to BYC Mi. Holly is kind of close to Clarkston isn't it? I have a very good friend in Clarkston
leghorns are very good lg. egg layers, rather flighty though.

Quote: home school trip sounds like fun!

another beautiful COLD day, Have to take the pup for a walk he can't go with out 2 days in a row

Well the pup seems to be on the mend. Acting totally normal now, though he's off his food a little and I have to put his meds in peanut butter to get him to take them.

I have a 5 year old Boxer that has to take medications every night. He get his in a 1/2 peanut butter sandwich. Boy he sure doesn't let me forget it either. Every night he'll start staring at me & drooling. Gross. Especially if DH or I mention heading to bed. There are a few of us in my house that take medications every night... the dog is first in line every time. LOL. At least he helps the rest of us remember our own. A slobbery, drooling, medication alarm clock... that's what he is.

Glad your pup is doing better.

Dear Michigan Ag Department and Commissioners...I get it...you are strapped for cash and feel you will not be able to handle the tremendous expansion poised to take place regarding small and hobby farms. You've had a good run of things in years past and this debate and bickering between municipalities, CAFOs and your commission is only serving to tarnish your past reputation. Time to disavow any responsibility before you get dragged into it right? Well, too late. Given the outpouring of interest in and support for backyard and hobby farms from many levels of government above you, it would be downright irresponsible to institute changes that let small farming operations fall flat on their faces BEFORE DEVELOPING NEW STANDARDS expressly dedicated to supporting them. Nothing is going to make you look worse to the population of the state than to abandon the thousands (or more) that have relied on the intent of the original RTFA. Returning control to townships and municipalities is a solid goal even if doing so means hundreds of township officials and local administrators will be duplicating each other's efforts but so be it. I motion that until those interested entities take into account the latest science and rationale allowing and providing for backyard and hobby farmers, that existing RTF protections be left in place. Making people get rid of everything and then starting over in six months or a year is just stupid, wasteful and unnecessarily hurtful to everyone involved no matter what side of the debate they are on. I suggest you take a couple of your best and brightest, form a panel and help local administrators understand the need for and the benefits of supporting urban/small/hobby farms in areas zoned other than "agricultural". You've already done the hard work, templates are already in place. Just modify the bit about "animal units" and create a new set of "UGAAMPs" for more urbanized areas. That's the kind of action Michigan residents will expect and support from an auspicious body such as yourselves. You are the "Ag Masters". Help the non-initiated municipal administrators to see the light and show them that micro-farming "or whatever you want to call it" can be done safely, cleanly and conflict-free on very small parcels. Any other action would simply be seen as "dumping" or "washing your hands" of the matter. It's the direction we're all going in anyway. May as well take the high-ground and get out there in front of it as best you can.

TSC in Ortonville just got shavings. Looks like today! We brought home 4 bags. They had cheap chicks too. A bin full of bantams too.

For those worried about heating your babies, I only give heat for two weeks. At 4-5 weeks they've been feathered enough to go outside when the weather is above freezing at night. A few weeks ago I put a group outside when the temps were in the 40's. When it got cold again we just closed them in and gave them an upside down box to huddle up in. They've done great! Totally acclimated to this current cold spell. What I've noticed is when they don't have heat for as long, they feather more quickly.

Yeah right! Not at my house... the farm of super spoiled chickens!
Even my adults get a lamp all winter! Im glad I dont know how to knit as everyone would have sweaters too! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom