Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Take it from me.... do the coop first. Everything ready and in place first. I lost a bird due to not having things ready. Be ready, be prepared, and birds are safer.

Hi michigan people,

Can I ask a question? I have 3 chickens I hatched out in the beginning of December, which puts them at about 4 months old now. They have lived in my spare bedroom since they hatched. I have a coop outside for them, but until recently it was buried under a mound of snow my plow guy created. :p. Would it be safe to move them outside into the coop now, or will the change in temp be too drastic for them? I can't heat the coop, but it is well built, no drafts.

I moved 5 week old chicks outside in an unheated coop in weather like this. They had lived in my basement without heat since they were 2 weeks old. My basement is about 55 degrees. Tomorrow would be a better day if it's warmer. Not sure what your weather will be like. They should be fine.

Yeah, I'd cull. I culled one that couldn't walk. Its leg was stuck facing backwards and toes curled. Though I know it *could* have been splinted and booted, I just don't have the time and energy to invest in a chick like that right now.
My husband just culled him. I couldnt handle seeing him struggle to stand/walk every time I went out there. And I couldnt get him to eat at all. So sad. And I'm mad the breeder sold me that one.

Just had a raccoon come by for a visit. The dogs convinced him to go elsewhere.
He went 2 doors down and disappeared in their yard.

Quote:
At least he doesn't have to struggle or have a hungry tummy anymore!
hugs.gif

fuzzybut is your temp 91 in your incubator. i keep my red plugs in during lockdown and during the whole time if need be..remove them when the temp spikes, replace if it drops. but during lockdown they are plugged. i also keep a towel on my bator, and if temp rises and taking out red plugs dont work i take towel off.. if you have a still air you should have your temp up to 101-103.. i think your temp is really low.. hope you have some chicks hatch..

tori so sorry you had to cull your chick, i think you did the right thing, big hugs..

Last edited:
Aww, liked the goat pictures! Here is today's picture of Oliver. :D

My turkeys finally started laying! Woot! Spring is here!!!

Tapped one of our Maple trees today for the first time. Hope its not too late in the year. :fl Tapped it at 10 am this morning, and by 6 pm, got about 1.5 gal. :D I will be happy just to get a quart of syrup or a bit less. Just trying out a little bit at a time, if it goes well this year, then next spring I will do a bit more.

Last edited:
fuzzybut is your temp 91 in your incubator. i keep my red plugs in during lockdown and during the whole time if need be..remove them when the temp spikes, replace if it drops. but during lockdown they are plugged. i also keep a towel on my bator, and if temp rises and taking out red plugs dont work i take towel off..  if you have a still air you should have your temp up to 101-103.. i think your temp is really low.. hope you have some chicks hatch..

tori so sorry you had to cull your chick, i think you did the right thing, big hugs.. 

No it was stabilizing from having to open it. It is riding at 98.8 so it should be 100.8; humidity wants to drop. Added the other jars back. Keeping it between 55-65 respectivly since dry hatches recommend that humidity at lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom