Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Uggo lost his entire foot to frost bite this winter. It finally came off, but left a raw stump exposed. So I cleaned him up wrapped and padded up the foot and off he went. I put half a small tennis ball on the bottom to allow him to walk and protect his foot. It's a bit heavy, but at least he can walk on it now.
This shows just how hardy and resilient our birds can be.

I had a young hen attempt being broody. She wasn't very good at it. Didn't get the eggs under her correctly, so they got cold. We gave her new ones and she sat about 8 days and then gave up. Maybe next time she'll get the hang of it. She just turned 1 last week.

Uggo lost his entire foot to frost bite this winter. It finally came off, but left a raw stump exposed. So I cleaned him up wrapped and padded up the foot and off he went. I put half a small tennis ball on the bottom to allow him to walk and protect his foot. It's a bit heavy, but at least he can walk on it now.
good job, hope he makes it

Aww, liked the goat pictures! Here is today's picture of Oliver.
big_smile.png

My turkeys finally started laying! Woot! Spring is here!!!

Tapped one of our Maple trees today for the first time. Hope its not too late in the year.
fl.gif
Tapped it at 10 am this morning, and by 6 pm, got about 1.5 gal.
big_smile.png
I will be happy just to get a quart of syrup or a bit less. Just trying out a little bit at a time, if it goes well this year, then next spring I will do a bit more.

nice job on the tapping!! looks like your little guys ears are OK
thumbsup.gif

You sure they weren't just sealed shut? I've had those before. the "growth" could have been yolk sac that hadn't fallen off or been absorbed... which is nothing to worry about (don't pull it off if you see it on another chick some day). Contact the seller and ask for a new chick or credit.
you all most always loose a chick or two, with day olds, I don't think they would have put a sick bird in on purpose. Is this the only one you lost? how many did you get and what breeds?

He is a Yokohama / Phoenix cross - and his tail is just starting. I have a beautiful white Yokohama hen to pair him with once his two years are up...according to some, you can only get the epic long tails if you prevent them from breeding for two yrs. we'll see..
He is handsome silly, turned out beautifully

Such a nice day out there today. I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy it.
As it moves towards dusk, the golden willows in my yard take on a special glow that photos just can't capture.

Was a great day out!! All the hens laid an egg, I hung out on the coop porch soaking up the sun, listened to the chooks chatting and threw the ball for the pup.
Mister Rooster designated a new dust (dirt, wasn't quite dry enough to call it dust) bath.

Back
Top Bottom