Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

@snowflake , they were 5 days old when I got them. I am certain he knew it was born without eyes. When he was putting the chicks in the box he was pointing out coloring on some of them that made them unacceptable to ship out to people. As a breeder who ships his birds, I just dont think thats something he would have missed. I'm glad I got what I did because I really wanted lavender ameraucanas, but I will not be purchasing from him in the future. I got 6 banty ameraucana, lavender ameraucana, black ameraucana and some chanteclers. 22 chicks in all.

Thats fine, I hadnt either. But I had a bad experience this time. It happens.

edited to clarify that I'm just a little upset he would include a bird like that because it was obvious when I picked them up that he inspects each one. My experience is obviously my own and I'm glad others havent had the same experience.

Last edited:
No, I strongly dislike confrontation, though family keeps telling me I should. I know I was getting his "rejects" as he called them, but the ad stated they were mostly experimental breedings or wrong color/combs and should be fine backyard birds. So it was very unexpected to get a disabled one. Guess I should toughen up, but it was hard to cull that little guy.

No, I strongly dislike confrontation, though family keeps telling me I should. I know I was getting his "rejects" as he called them, but the ad stated they were mostly experimental breedings or wrong color/combs and should be fine backyard birds. So it was very unexpected to get a disabled one. Guess I should toughen up, but it was hard to cull that little guy.
With all due respect, letting the breeder know that you had a problem chick is not confrontational at all. A responsible breeder would want to know.
The term "reject" usually means that the chick is not show quality or breeder stock but is still fine for for our backyard flock.

That you got a disabled chick is sad but it happens. It happens with purchased chicks and those that you incubate. Sometimes you just have to deal with culling, as difficult as it may be.

If and when we are faced with a culling decision, I would like to think that we are doing the best that we can do. For the animals that we care for and the humanity that we aspire for.

Im on a search for a few quality bearded silkies.
Lookin for chicks or young stock. (Yrish old)
Lookin for porcelain and paint.
Anyone close to lapeer with any for sale?
Also will buy eggs or even eggs in mixed colors too. lookin to add a few to my silkie girls.
My sister lives in Adrian and could prob convince her to pick up for me if near there.

Last edited:
if you are going to release a breeder's name on a public website, extending him the courtesy of notifying him that there is a problem, and giving him a chance to rectify it, should really be done before public complaints.
I made it known here I was picking them up on Saturday, then I made it known that I got a bad chick. Even if I tell him I'm not driving 2.5 hours again for one. It doesnt matter. Sorry my complaint doesnt suit your tastes.

Tori- so sorry about having to cull the baby, you've got more backbone than I do.
Farmerboy- Oliver is sooooooooo cute. I am not getting goats, I am not getting goats,I am not getting....
So, when I went out today to open my coops so they could have some run time, I found 1 large Delaware hen and 1 white guinea splattered with bood, the coop wall splattered with blood and a few other chickens & guineas with blood spots, but couldn't find any injuries. In this coop I have a pair of tiny bantams, 5 partridge bantams, the 2 delawares I got from jake, a white topped polish and 7 last fall's guineas (I had 9 but had to remove 2 due to being picked on). The chicken and guinea with all the blood splatters look like they were perched under whoever was bleeding. BUT I CAN'T FIND A VICTIM.

Back
Top Bottom