Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Heads up to all that own natural ponds stocked with fish...

Walked around mine which is filled with 6 monster koi and thousands of goldfish. I saw A LOT of dead bodies. My pond is 12ft deep and about 25ft wide and about 100ft long. (Approx a quarter acre)
I'm only 20 mins from ya and my pond is still frozen other than around the edges. lol I think the center of our's is 18ft deep, we had a bunch of blue gill and put some bass and a few catfish in last yr., hope they survive. :) Is your TSC going to get and turkey's in that you know of?

My brooder/chicks are doing fine at 75 degrees in the house. When can I take the heating lamp off to get them ready for outside?

I'd like them out in the daytime when it starts to get nice and then in the coop full-time when we hit the 45s/50s at night.
Mine are 5wks old now. I took the heat lamp away at 4 weeks and my house is only at 63 and their doing great. Starting to get the dust now and more of a wild smell in the air, even cleaning it daily so thinking about moving them to the garage for a week. Our garage is not heated, but would still keep the wind and elements off them till they adjusted to the outside temps.

I just witnessed one of the strangest things. My 5 day old wheaten marans chick attempted to crow just now. They can clearly hear the rooster outside crowing in the coop and while he was crowing, the little one lowered its little moth wings, stretched its neck out and said "PEEEEEP!", several times in time with the rooster. I wish I'd had my video camera!!! It was so cute.

I am tryin to upload pics of couple of my amercana (sp?) Chicks and i having problems with it. But i think one is a rooster lol. I bought all pullets and not exactly sure of ages.

Mine are 5wks old now. I took the heat lamp away at 4 weeks and my house is only at 63 and their doing great. Starting to get the dust now and more of a wild smell in the air, even cleaning it daily so thinking about moving them to the garage for a week. Our garage is not heated, but would still keep the wind and elements off them till they adjusted to the outside temps.
I am brooding in the garage for the first time. Its chilly in there and chicks are only a week old (adding some new babies on Thursday) but they are thriving. They do have the heat lamp still (of course, probably for a few weeks at least) but on average it has only been 85 in the brooder and they've been just dandy.

I'm only 20 mins from ya and my pond is still frozen other than around the edges. lol  I think the center of our's is 18ft deep, we had a bunch of blue gill and put some bass and a few catfish in last yr., hope they survive. :) Is your TSC going to get and turkey's in that you know of? 

My pond is still pretty much froven except around the edges about 3-4-5ft. But the dead has made its way to there...

As for Turkey's, TSC dose not carry them at least here in MI. Management/corporete says no. So if a store has them... I dont believe they should. I know our store never will. But a guy close by in columbiaville "duck n coop" has lots

I've spent most of yesterday and this morning outside, and this funky lady cracks me up every time I look at her - She's a frizzled bantam cochin named Ursula that I got at Chickenstock from @MrsChickendad (I believe)

Fruma Sarah can't decide if she wants to go broody or not. She was thinking about it, but I think the warm spring day changed her mind. It's far too nice out to be cooped inside. ;)

Zelda was really upset with the camera. She was "ba-gawking" up a storm over it.

And,last but not least - my best girl Opal - an Easter Egger

Sunday and Monday have been such beaurtiful days! Worked outside both days. On Sun, I took the shavings out of the coop and put it in the very muddy run. Helps a lot!! So, coop got nice clean new shavings.
Did lots of yard work the last couple of days. Today, I really need to do some housecleaning!
Being with the chickens the last couple of days, reminded me of a heated discussion we had here on BYC years ago. Probably only Opa would remember. About a hen turning into a rooster. I have a EE hen that in the last couple of years has taken on the personality of a roo. She mounts the other hens and does the deed.
ep.gif
I've witnessed it often. She aggressive towards the other hens, too. Definately the top dog, um hen.

I see a lot of my bulbs coming up!! So exciting!! Almost all the snow is gone in our yard. Backyard is a muddy mess. I hope my bushes survive the rabbits and moles eating them during the winter. Can see the mole tunnels circle around the bushes in front. The rabbits have eaten the bushes in back to just nubs. Guess they had to survive. On the up note, the rabbits have fertilized my flower garden quite nicely!

Enjoy the spring like weather all!

I've spent most of yesterday and this morning outside, and this funky lady cracks me up every time I look at her - She's a frizzled bantam cochin named Ursula that I got at Chickenstock from @MrsChickendad (I believe)

Fruma Sarah can't decide if she wants to go broody or not. She was thinking about it, but I think the warm spring day changed her mind. It's far too nice out to be cooped inside. ;)

Zelda was really upset with the camera. She was "ba-gawking" up a storm over it.

And,last but not least - my best girl Opal - an Easter Egger

Wow, your EE is gorgeous!!
droolin.gif
I want one that looks like that!

Back
Top Bottom