Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Today was a cold wet and dreary day but I guess it was appropriate considering what I had to do today. Daisy, my 18 yr old JRT has been suffering from canine cognitive disorder, or doggy dementia if you prefer. She has seemed lost but not in any pain, so I have been hoping that she would pass quietly in the night. Sadly this was not to be. Today she was having an exceptionally bad day. She was obviously in pain and having difficulty maintaining her balance.

On the day I purchased her from the breeder I had taken a small polar fleece blanket with which we rubbed the mother dog and several of her pups. It was my thinking that it would retain the smell of Daisy's former surroundings and hopefully make her more comfortable in her new home.

Now 18 years later I once again wrapped her in that blanket's warm comfort and quickly allowed her to leave this mortal coil. She has been a true and faithful friend these many years and it was with a heavy heart that I released her.
I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you were able to have 18 amazing years with your girl. I wish they lived as long as we did, so we wouldn't have to say goodbye.

Quote:

If you change your mind about purchasing a buckling from me, please let me know as soon as you can. I want to start putting up ads promptly if that is the case, since I hadn't due to your interest.

Last edited:
Opa, that was a sad and wonderful thing you did for your friend. I am sure she appreciated the act of kindness, and the blanket must have been such a comfort. I do believe in the afterlife.

This is the stuff of my dreams, an ecosystem!! Mine will not be nearly like this at all, since i do not have the experience or knowledge to pull it off. Gives me hope though that it can be done! Mold is the big worry. Whoever put the aquascaping pics up earlier in the year gave me much inspiration! But i'm sure they are hard to care for. Someday!

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/pico-plant-terrarium.2884/

This extended cold weather we are having is driving me crazy. I got my coop built and all it needs is paint. I move my 16 cornish cross from their 4x8 covered pen in the barn into the coop until my layers are ready to move from inside our house out into the new coop. This is our first year doing chickens and boy did we go head first. So I have decided to do a tractor for our next run of meat birds that we will get probably the 3rd week of April. That leaves a pen and housing for our 4 turkeys(2 white BB and 2 bronze BB). The pen is going to be about 40 feet long by 30 feet wide in an L shape. What size fencing would you recommend? How high? Covered or uncovered? I am also trying to figure out housing for them as using the new coop is out of the question. The new coop is for my 22 layers exclusively. Predators are def an issue, although I have not seen them first hand. Spring summer time bon fires and the coyote packs light up all around. Any suggestions would be welcomed! Anyone on here from the Allendale\Zeeland area?
We have the 6ft high metal fence from TSC. The chicken pen is 25 sqft and so is our duck pen. We then put bird netting over the top of it, mostly due to the starlings getting in and eating all their food. They free range most of the time and we do have to pull the netting back and tie it to the fence in the winter because of the snowfall, it will take it down, even with all the holes in it. We built some perches and ladders in there for them to play on so days i have to go somewhere they have something to do in the pen. I lock mine up at night due to predators. My 1st time doing turkeys also and was thinking about an a frame for them if i was gonna seperate, but I only have 2, so I'm thinking they can go in with the chickens or the ducks stay in the pond almost all summer, so they could have the duck pen.

Today was a cold wet and dreary day but I guess it was appropriate considering what I had to do today. Daisy, my 18 yr old JRT has been suffering from canine cognitive disorder, or doggy dementia if you prefer. She has seemed lost but not in any pain, so I have been hoping that she would pass quietly in the night. Sadly this was not to be. Today she was having an exceptionally bad day. She was obviously in pain and having difficulty maintaining her balance.

On the day I purchased her from the breeder I had taken a small polar fleece blanket with which we rubbed the mother dog and several of her pups. It was my thinking that it would retain the smell of Daisy's former surroundings and hopefully make her more comfortable in her new home.

Now 18 years later I once again wrapped her in that blanket's warm comfort and quickly allowed her to leave this mortal coil. She has been a true and faithful friend these many years and it was with a heavy heart that I released her.
I am so sorry
sad.png
The one things I have always found amazing with our pets is how their love is so unconditional. Their losses leave us with empty heavy hearts. I'm sure you gave Daisy a wonderful life and remember that she will always be with you.
hugs.gif

So sorry Sam.... I know it's hard. She was a lucky girl to have you for so long.
hugs.gif

We will be doing the same thing (again) here shortly... never easy to make the choice.
BBB and BBW are bred to put weight on fast to be processed. That said. My BBW tom lived 8 mo before he started having difficulty standing and walking. He was served for TG dinner........ he weighted 40.5 lbs, and was very juicy and tasty!! My BBW hen, purchased at the same time, is still alive after 3 yrs. She rules the turkey house!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom