Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Brought two goat kids to see my grandma. The little girl Xena slept on her lap the entire visit! Also, both little goat kids received a blessing from the Catholic priest who was there too for the day's service at the nursing home.

The little goats gave a lot of love to a lot of people! Including some human kids!

I didn't take any other pictures. But those work!
Thanks for sharing - My wife is an Activities Director. I do the same thing and with the current seniors it really make sense as most lived on a farm type setting here in Michigan. They always enjoy it and always share their own life experiences. They remember the things of their their youth the best!

Any duck lovers here? We are putting in an order for some Welsh Harlequins, Cayugas and either Ancona or Saxony, I'm having a hard time choosing and cant find a place that has both! :( We want dual purpose birds that will lay but offspring could be used for meat. Decisions decisions....I might throw some Blue Swedes in as well.

The plan is to make the run tall enough for me to walk in comfortably, with a slanted roof of corrugated metal (or plastic) to bear the wight of snow and encourage runoff. The tarps will be to cut the wind, and will be applied to the walls of the run. The run itself will be very secure, and predator proof. I know with certainty we have fox and coyote in the area, as well as eagles, hawks, stray cats and dogs.

The coop will be raised for ease of maintenance. It will share a roof with the run, also slanted.

I have plans for the feeders. Speaking of feeders, should I make oyster shell available to my hens all the time, as with food and water?

The water will be a bucket with nipple waterers, and an aquarium heater.

I saw one run that simply used clear sheets of plastic stapled to the backside of lattice that had been cut to the dimensions of the wire panels. Was sturdy, pretty, and re-useble!!
I believe if you are SURE that it is predetor proof it is ok. I will be facing this this year as well. Gonna have to buy a lot of hardware cloth!

Any duck lovers here? We are putting in an order for some Welsh Harlequins, Cayugas and either Ancona or Saxony, I'm having a hard time choosing and cant find a place that has both! :( We want dual purpose birds that will lay but offspring could be used for meat. Decisions decisions....I might throw some Blue Swedes in as well.
I have Muscovies for meat birds and khaki campbell's for eggs. My male muscovy greets me just like a dog, he comes up wagging his tail. The khaki's get all excited, but alot more nervous type duck, great eggs pretty much everyday.

I have Muscovies for meat birds and khaki campbell's for eggs. My male muscovy greets me just like a dog, he comes up wagging his tail. The khaki's get all excited, but alot more nervous type duck, great eggs pretty much everyday.
I just found someone "local" that is hatching Anconas next month! I ordered 3. She is about 2.5 hours away, but I think it will be worth it. I think I'm gonna order some Saxons, Cayuga's and Welsh Harlequin's from Holderreads now.

Last edited:
Woo Hoo!....started work on our coop today!...getting my first batch of pullets ever in about a month, I am sooooo very excited
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom