Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I'm up north, TC area.... What predators are people usually dealing with? Any weasels? Fox? We are new to the area and are out in the county in a mostly wooded-esque area, but only a few miles from city limits. No stray cats. I currently have a mass infestation of kangaroo mice, so I know I don't have too many predators right now. Just wondering what others are dealing with in the area. I appreciate input and perspectives.
I grew up in that area. Lots of hawks, raccoon, fox and coyotes. I've never seen a weasel, but that doesnt mean they arent there! lol. My dad had chickens when I was growing up (we lived out in the boonies) and they free ranged, but a lot got taken by various baddies in the woods. I would definitely make a super secure coop and a good run for them.

Welcome Jewels and Leelanau and any other new people I may have missed.

You can't be too secure when it comes to dealing with predators or potential threats. Lots of good hardware cloth on the sides and buried in ground helps deter diggers. Bird netting or mesh roof helps keep flying or climbing predators out. Many people also have strands of electric fence.

Or you can take your chances and let them free range knowing that there is a risk involved. Sometimes it is a blending of chicken keeping styles that you are comfortable using.
Check the links in my signature for more details on Chicken Stock in June.

What kind of scraps can I feed my 5 and 6 week old ladies? They're eating grit regularly, and we're letting them outside for grass, dirt, and bugs this coming week is the forecast is nice!
smile.png

I gave mine everything from the kitchen starting at around 3 weeks and they are little garbage disposals now. As long as they have grit you should be able to feed whatever.

I'm up north, TC area.... What predators are people usually dealing with? Any weasels? Fox? We are new to the area and are out in the county in a mostly wooded-esque area, but only a few miles from city limits. No stray cats. I currently have a mass infestation of kangaroo mice, so I know I don't have too many predators right now. Just wondering what others are dealing with in the area. I appreciate input and perspectives.

Hawks, eagles, coyotes, fox, coons, weasels, neighbor's dogs, the usual suspects. I was raised in suttons bay and live in benzie now. :)
(And I should have chicks in about a month if you haven't gotten birds yet)
Welcome!

Last edited:
Me Four!

@Stacykins
Congratulations ! They are SO cute! I so love the Nigerians..
.I fell in love with Luna & Ron last year.

Great time of year with all the new babies...keep the pix coming all...

Ron and Luna came over for a visit today! To become nekkid! I had clippers, a milking stand, and time. They actually live right down the road, so I get to see them fairly often.

They actually started to shed out their fiber. But their owners wanted them clipped so they could get as much fiber from them as possible that was clean. They are looking forward to spinning and knitting with it!

Luna all fluffy outside

Luna on the stand

Luna all naked!

Ron outside beforehand

Ron on the stand

And Ron without his fluff!

This is them about to head home!

Awwwww! Little goats sooo cute!!! I'm jealous of all that fiber!!

So while we were on vacation my house sitter asked me if I had dinosaurs in the coop because she got a couple of huge eggs. Now that I'm home and see them I know why she commented!!!

Here they are pictured to their "normal" eggs and a AA battery.

They're as long as my palm is wide.....just over 4in

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom