Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Love those goats! It was a decent afternoon yesterday and we got a lot of cleaning done around the coop area. There are now piles everywhere with things to keep, metal, wood, garbage and burnables. The chickens had a great time grabbing worms that were hiding under everything.

I have an non chicken question. Last Thursday my sister's basement flooded and they thought it was because their sump pump shorted out. They have been fighting water since. They have it coming in at a rate of about 5 gallons a minute and it seems to be increasing. It has actually cracked the floor in the past few days. They had a basement/ water guy come out and he has told them he believes it is a new spring not just a high water table. He said he's never seen anything like it and could only recommend getting more pumps. I'm putting this out here with hopes someone has had similar situation and can help out. My sister is going a bit nuts. They pulled all the carpets and pitched them with no hopes of getting them dry. They have a theater room, game room, bed room and storage that were all damaged and insurance that won't cover it because they are not in a flood prone area. Thanks!

are they fracking oil in their area?

Just to share my two-sense with the RTF issue, A dozen fresh eggs, a smle and a conversation goes a long way with neighbors. If you have a few birds in your back yard no one needs to know they are there. I live in a fairly rual area and have no close neighbors, but if the 2 neighbors I do have ever do raise the issue that my 17 birds in the woods being an issue, they are getting some free, delicious free range eggs... that will probably change thier minds. I understand what state legislators are going for with the RTF law changes, they are basically saying if you move to the country, expect poop, animals and noise. That being said, I think if you want a small flock in your suburban back yard, keep it clean and quiet, no one will need to know.
.....that may work with an annoyed neighbor........ but if you get a vindictive A hat neighbor like Raz and others I've heard about. There is nothing you can do. Some people simply hate the idea of eating fresh food, or living near "dirty" animals and they don't care what your rights are.

I have a friend that buys colored eggs from a local farm for Easter, saying how pretty they are.. and I tell her she should eat them and she's like "EWWW"... Won't buy anything unless it comes sealed in plastic from the store. I can't understand how we can even be friends... lol!

Before I left work, I notice that our Jacobs ewe Penny was in labor, so I stayed home to watch. I knew she had been covered by a large ram at her previous home. I was worried she might have a hard labor, and she did... even worse, after all that work and pain, she gave birth to a still born ewe lamb. The lamb was really big so that could have been part of the problem. I could see that it was dead, so I helped pull it out. Poor Penny.
hit.gif
I left the lamb with her so she could understand that it was gone and that I didn't just steal her baby from her. I had to leave for work... it was too heart wrenching watching her try to get the lamb up.. and hear her calling and talking to it. Wish I knew someone that had a orphan lamb right about now!

But on the flip side, one of my co workers wants to buy both my bottle babies! She has other goats and I know she spoils them rotten. So they will be going to a good home.

Farming is such an emotional rollercoaster....... but I think I'm a much better person for it than if I never tried.

Last edited:
Random question for all,I live in the battle creek ~ Kalamazoo area, does anyone have a gold laced polish rooster they would like to sell? I have a hen that my daughter loves and well I want to distract her by incubating eggs as it is slaughter time for our 4 meat ducks that she is in love with.

I'm so jealous of all the cute goats! I hope I can convince you all to sell me a few once we get our own place. :)

In further un-chicken related news, I found a breeder of American Chinchilla rabbits not too far away. I am hoping to pick up a pair of unrelated does, as there is another breeder down in MO by my mother, and she has promised to bring me a buck for my birthday.

Random question for all,I live in the battle creek ~ Kalamazoo area, does anyone have a gold laced polish rooster they would like to sell? I have a hen that my daughter loves and well I want to distract her by incubating eggs as it is slaughter time for our 4 meat ducks that she is in love with.

No rooster but too bad your about 2 hours south of me, in Grant, or I would give your daughter 3 baby chicks, they are Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. :)

Sara Trocker-Hambly has one for sale for $10 and she lives in Howell. She's on facebook, so you could private message her about him. Here's a pic of him that she posted. There is a facebook page called Michigan Poultry and Hatching Eggs for Sale. You can join but must have permission. Or you can just find her by name and pm her.

I have an non chicken question. Last Thursday my sister's basement flooded and they thought it was because their sump pump shorted out. They have been fighting water since. They have it coming in at a rate of about 5 gallons a minute and it seems to be increasing. It has actually cracked the floor in the past few days. They had a basement/ water guy come out and he has told them he believes it is a new spring not just a high water table. He said he's never seen anything like it and could only recommend getting more pumps. I'm putting this out here with hopes someone has had similar situation and can help out. My sister is going a bit nuts. They pulled all the carpets and pitched them with no hopes of getting them dry. They have a theater room, game room, bed room and storage that were all damaged and insurance that won't cover it because they are not in a flood prone area. Thanks!
Tell your sister to consult with a good lawyer. Never accept the insurance companys' opinion.

No rooster but too bad your about 2 hours south of me, in Grant, or I would give your daughter 3 baby chicks, they are Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. :)
If you will be going to chickenstock- I wold be interested in buying your appenzeller chicks as long as they aren't all roosters.

Back
Top Bottom