Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Finally found layers nearby to replace the lost flock from the fox incident. However one of the poor girls are in full fledged molt now (assuming due to stress) and is rumpless and lowest on the pecking order. Don't think she comes out the coop much at all from what I've seen. She's layed two eggs since being integrated, but any thoughts on if I should get her outta there until her bareness fills in?

Finally found layers nearby to replace the lost flock from the fox incident. However one of the poor girls are in full fledged molt now (assuming due to stress) and is rumpless and lowest on the pecking order. Don't think she comes out the coop much at all from what I've seen. She's layed two eggs since being integrated, but any thoughts on if I should get her outta there until her bareness fills in?

Half of my girls are in full molt...poor things look almost naked. They don't lay when molting. One of mine also stays in the coop a lot...even when the rest are out free ranging. I think she's embarrassed. ;)

THANK YOU to all the Veterans out there!

I think @Opa summed it up quite well in his previous post.

I have to re-home my birds. I have a trio of LF English Orpingtons. 1 blue hen, one splash hen and a blue roo. The roo is good around the grandkids and other animals. He is good with the girls. I also have a chocolate bantam English Orpington roo. He just blends in with everybody. Really sweet little guy. They were all hatched 8/13 and they are free I just want a good home for them. These birds are very calm and would make good birds for a kid in 4-H
I have to disperse the rest of my flock, for health reasons I have to cut back. The rest of my girls are 2 - 4 years old so soup hens. They are free if you want them. A couple of BO's and 5 BA's.
I live in the Jackson area, but go to Lansing 3 times a week. If interested PM me.

My words are going to come out wrong, and for this I apologize in advance.

Thank you to ALL veterans for your service.

That being said, the military is a double edged sword for me. On one side you have these gung ho kids who want to protect us from all the terrorists that we are told are trying to destroy America and the world. On the other, we have all the politicians and elite that draw them into these conflicts in the first place with their lies and their greed for power and money, and whose families NEVER serve. So many I have talked to have said they were proud to serve but have to live with so much pain and regret and nothing really gets accomplished, not really. The things they have seen and done, no one should have to do.

When they come home, we give them a big parade, put them on the news, and then forget about them until the holiday comes up again and we remember. It's usually just an excuse to party for 3 days while some sleep on the cold ground under a bridge somewhere. They are not getting the help they need. They deserve better and we have to change this.

Just because I don't agree with war, doesn't mean I don't respect you as someone who protects others without asking for anything in return. Again a sincere thank you for your service to ALL veterans who served. I just wish you never had to in the first place.

yesss.gif
Well, it took all of 4 minutes to integrate the boys last night. We put the dog crate in the door opening, opened the door, and out walked the roosters, just like they belonged there. This morning, Travis is out crowing his head off and showing the girls where the treats are. Spartacus is still in the coop watching the layers.

Muffin seeks me out whenever I go outside. Have to pick her up and give her some loving. When I go out to close them up for the night, she comes running out and I have to pick her up and tuck her in. I've had several chickens that follow me around and sit on my lap in my years of having chickens. Think when you have a smaller flock and spend time with them other than just feeding them, they can develop attachements to their humans. Even the ones that don't seek me out, will follow me out to the yard when I'm playing with the dogs. Reba even chased the ball that I threw. Was so funny. I guess it depends how you treat them. I don't treat them like livestock. They are my pets. I love birds. I know you all thinking crazy chicken lady, but that's ok. Each their own. No judgements. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.
We humanize all of our animals... from rats to horses. Who all has had a parrot... did he show affectioin? A rat?? Hamster?? See videos of wild deer being pets. How about the friendship between lets say deer and dogs? Cats and horses? Affection? Where is the food connection? Just my thoughts..

Last edited:

Over the years i noticed some seek out attention, some don't. I kept the pests, spoil them, they get underfoot and pester me food or not. If i don't pick up blue he will jump up on me! Our "free range" is us walking around together. When we have had enough i lead them back to their house and they go on in.... they all like held and will snuggle their neck to mine and will bump into my hand when petted or held, like a cat. These are the birds that keep me into chickens, they are not suited for a normal flock. These ones also get dr care if i can't figure a problem. Blue is now a $200 rooster! But out of 6 years he is only the second roo i have owned that i can put my face to his. (He likes to fix my hair)

My two i had of my pet hen would forsake food for attention, which by science is the definition of true "bonding" vs food driven behavior.

I know the little turds go off feed if i don't at least spend a bit of time with them! If i ever got hurt in my coop you would find me down covered in roosting birds and poop, with my hair all crazy!

I agree with Opa.....He always says it with more tact..... I know many people become emotionally attached to their birds and that is great to each his own right! ...... but I see them as producers that will either produce eggs or food for me and my family. I do have one roo that is ugly and sweet, and lost his feet (he heh... rhymes!) Every once in a while a bird may get a reprieve from freezer camp.... but this is not the case for most of my flock. They are still animals that IMHO..... function on basic survival levels (eat, poop, sleep, reproduce, die) and we assign human traits to them to make us feel better so we can associate with them.... I will spend money to maintain a flock... but if a bird gets too sick, they get removed. I have lost too many trying to be overly "compassionate". Does the birds life have value? Certainly.... but with live stock comes dead stock and I have to be realistic about how much it costs me and I would be an emotional wreck if I allowed myself to become overly attached to all of my stock. I also feel that allowing the stronger to survive makes better stock for the future.
Now my dogs on the other hand............
ep.gif

Got my shot and the Poison ivy has not spread further!
Welcome to the new folks!

Many of us are as attached to our chickens as you are to your dog. My problem is with those who use this affection to profiteer off people's emotions.

Back
Top Bottom