Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hope everyone is enjoying the warming sunshine:)
smile.png
wee.gif
me and the girls
yippiechickie.gif

Over the years I've tried a variety of brooders, but the best I've ever used was a round one that I sat on newsapers in the middle of the garage floor. I made it using a fiber duct board that comes in a 1/8x4x8 sheet. Cut in half and joined end to end you windup with a 2' tall circle about 5' across. One common problem with brooding chicks is crushing injuries caused by piling. That occurs when cold or frightened chicks gather in a tight clump. This is why I prefer using a round brooder as there are no corners to allow a bird to become trapped.

With two people it is easy to raise the ring and slowly move it and the chicks to clean newspaper. When brooding is complete remove tape used to join ends and store flat til needed again.
@Opa I assume you move the ring and chicks separately?? ..because I see nothing here that indicated a bottom on the thing.

What would you cover it with??.....trying to remember how old before they can hop/fly up that high.

@Opa I assume you move the ring and chicks separately?? ..because I see nothing here that indicated a bottom on the thing.

What would you cover it with??.....trying to remember how old before they can hop/fly up that high.
i know at about 2-3 weeks old the EEs i got from birdman could fly about 18 inches to sit on the edge of the brooder...i am however not sure if they were using the wire cage guard for the heat lamp(its only about 6-7 inches off the floor) as a "stepping stone" so to speak...but once i kept finding them on top of the brooder i move them to a large cage so they could fly if they wanted too but not be loose and possbily doggie snacks.

Back from Boston, Ma. Dad's heart surgery went well. He'll have to hire kids to shovel and he'll be bored watching them, lol. Being a big city, and getting more snow than I could imagine, Boston is struggling with the stuff. I lived in Sault Ste. Marie, where they have the most snow in the country right now but I can tell you it's worse in Boston in terms of where to put the stuff! Cars that got buried by plows are just sitting next to curbs and will be until spring. I've never seen more cars with broken off driver side mirrors. Anyone that parks on a street is just asking to lose their mirror! Sidewalks, like by my daughter's house, have 6 foot banks on either side. City's around Boston make residents shovel sidewalks in front of their house or you get fined! Well it's good to be back and tending animals. Much more relaxing than my grandson, lol! He wore me out.
Glad all went well with your dad and you made it back safe and sound.

Back
Top Bottom