Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I have 4 Red Cross, 2 Black Sexlink and 2 Barred Rock. (I think, lol) I know the Red Crosses are right but the other 4, the gentleman told me when I picked them up that he had ordered Barred Rock also and couldn't tell the difference between them and the Black Sexlink so I had to just kind of take my best guess at which was which. Gosh I hoped I picked up the two Black sexlink cause that is what I really wanted.  I guess we'll see in a few weeks, or months. I'm so excited! Just cleaned some pasty butt this morning! I love 'em!

Chicks are awesome! :weee

Went to grab a bag of feed today and chicks were 2/$1 (and ducks were $1/ea) so I was naughty and bought 6 pullets. I'm really tempted to buy a bunch of them and raise them for a couple of months and then sell them. I think our budget is going to prohibit that though.

Also...I commented on the lack of breed selections this year and the guy at tsc said that he hatchery they get most of their chicks from didnt pass its salmonella test this year and they were only able to get chicks from a much smaller supplier. I've seen production breeds (reds and isas) bantams, and the rare barred rock and that was IT in stores. Anyone else know anything about that?

T
Went to grab a bag of feed today and chicks were 2/$1 (and ducks were $1/ea) so I was naughty and bought 6 pullets. I'm really tempted to buy a bunch of them and raise them for a couple of months and then sell them. I think our budget is going to prohibit that though.

Also...I commented on the lack of breed selections this year and the guy at tsc said that he hatchery they get most of their chicks from didnt pass its salmonella test this year and they were only able to get chicks from a much smaller supplier. I've seen production breeds (reds and isas) bantams, and the rare barred rock and that was IT in stores. Anyone else know anything about that?
They're supposed to be getting them from Townline in Wayland, MI or from Privitt hatchery out west.

Last edited:
Yes. I knew townline was one of their sources. Just curious if it was true and which one it was since we are going to have to order meat chicks in a few weeks.

TSC in Lowell has been out for a week , TSC in Greenville has $1 chicks and ducks
I would not put more than 8 standard sized birds in a 4x8 coop.
x2
Finally got some babies!!
congrats on the chicks, I know you will have fun

got some grass cut, some gardening done, would have gotten more done, but the sun was so HOT, pluss had grand-kid runs, hope to get more tilling done tonight

One of my girls was attacked by a dog yesterday. I have put red-kote on her wounds but was wondering if I should put her on an antibiotic, and if so which one? Any advice would be appreciated.

One of my girls was attacked by a dog yesterday. I have put red-kote on her wounds but was wondering if I should put her on an antibiotic, and if so which one? Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm sorry about your hen. Wounds from dogs are somewhat less likely to get infected than from a raccoon for instance, but if she has puncture wounds they are hard to clean out thoroughly. If you notice any change in the smell of the wounds, then that could mean infection. Usually Penicillin G is recommended for wounds. It is injectable and it should be at Tractor Supply or Family Farm and Home or any farm store. I was able to give an injection by my self, so it is not as hard as it may sound. Here is a link with instructions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/352701/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken

Are there any old english game bantams for sale in southern Michigan or if not in sothern portion i can recieve shipments. I am also open to most bantam breeds.
Thank you

The TSC in Whitmore Lake (North Territorial and US 23) had lots of chicks and duckling. Mislabeled Ameraucanas pullets; Assorted bantam pullets; Sex-link pullets (that were Welsummers with roos) and a few other bins that had no tag. Nothing was less than $2.99 with a minimum of 6 birds.

Despite the poor labels, the chicks all seemed to have been taken care of. Even the duck bins had fresh clean water and food. And you know how quickly ducklings can foul a fount.

They also had those big rooster statues for sale. I would love to have one in my front yard.

Back
Top Bottom