Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

There is a better chance they'll get frostbite on their feet if there isn't a roost b/c if there is one their feet will clench around the bar. I also heard that the deep litter method makes things warmer because the decomposing waste makes heat. I use the deep litter method,too and it works for me. What I do to my coop in the winter is I just cover it with a tarp. It's easy and works for me.

I thought someone might bring up the "heat" factor of deep litter.

For compost to generate heat it needs a good deal of moisture, approximately 50%. That much moisture in a hen house, in winter, is a bad condition for chicken health. I can find no valid data-based research that says DLM generates heat. Still, people want to make that claim because if it on the interweb it must be true.
caf.gif

Yeah that makes sense about a 2x4 vs bar for feet to spread out not curl but is there a benefit to them sleeping up on anything bar or 2x4 vs sleeping in the shavings? If anything I think they might be warmer on the shavings especially since they pile on top of each other. But I'm a newbie so I didnt know if there was a reason to try and keep them from sleeping in the shavings.

Yeah that makes sense about a 2x4 vs bar for feet to spread out not curl but is there a benefit to them sleeping up on anything bar or 2x4 vs sleeping in the shavings? If anything I think they might be warmer on the shavings especially since they pile on top of each other. But I'm a newbie so I didnt know if there was a reason to try and keep them from sleeping in the shavings.

They still can sleep on the shavings but it is better to have a roost.

Update! My husband made foam vent covers for both triangle vents and are in 4 pieces in each side so we can customize the amount open it shut as we figure out how much air flow we need. I have a humidity gauge in there so I'll check it tomorrow. I think you all were right though it does feel less drafty now. I guess I thought it was ok with the air flow because it was so much higher than the roosts. Live and learn. But thanks again for all the advice and I will definitely sleep better tonight (and hopeful my chickens).

You are very wise to question what you are doing if you are having problems.

I would also change the perches out, it's not very difficult to do and will probably improve your hen's comfort. Sometimes when chickens pile up together when they are cold the birds on the bottom can actually be asphyxiated, so it would be better if they would hop up on perches instead. It's also hard to prevent completely drafts at floor level where air is moving.

Back
Top Bottom