Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

So is there some ceremony for this solstice? I seem to remember something about running around nekkid on the solstice. But maybe that's just for the summer one.

wee.gif
Snow butt prints after the hot tub.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I'd use cardboard about 18" high tacked right onto the rafter bottom to direct the air up higher.
Do you have gable vents? Good place for moist air to escape....in thru the eaves, out thru the gables.

Mild frostbite, even severe frostbite, doesn't need any treatment unless infection is present...
....IMO messing with compromised tissue is asking for trouble and could actually introduce infection.
Thanks aart. I will try to do that tomorrow it the snow storm allows. They're calling for 5-7" but temps up to 35. So maybe work in the snow? lol And yes I do have gable vents. Here they are. They face west(this orientation) and east. Eaves are north and south. Roosts are oriented at the back of the coop or the north side.
:

Not me.

So is there some ceremony for this solstice? I seem to remember something about running around nekkid on the solstice. But maybe that's just for the summer one.

wee.gif
Yep. there are a few. But I don't follow the rules. I don't have to wait for the solstice to run around nekkid.
wee.gif

Almost 2 year old came back into lay after molt...before solstice....may not start supplemental lighting after all, just to see what happens.
I suspected but got proof today, hot one right off the presses!!
Wonders if it has anything to do with the fact that she was hatched by a broody in a frigid early February 2015?

That's great aart. Really love the color of the egg to. Mine aren't that pretry olive color. More blueish.

Went out to feed this morning and thought I'd let them out after a few days of confinement. They pop their head out, see the white and go back in. I put their feed and water outside under the coop like i always do when they go out hoping that will entice them out.

Yep. there are a few. But I don't follow the rules. I don't have to wait for the solstice to run around nekkid.
wee.gif
I distinctly remember talk about such a dance last winter, don't think there were many takers though, and Raz, you need to watch your P's and Q's, I'm sure running around nakkid is bound to end you up back in jail
bun.gif

All of my eggs keep getting frozen and then cracking. I am getting irritated with the weather and don't like frozen eggs. What can I do?

some people use a heat mat in the nest box, i you have electricity out there that may help
A couple of my eggs froze today. The shells cracked. Is it ok to hard boil them right away and still eat them?
yes they are fine to eat. often the inner skin does not tear the shell just cracks. they may look funny but are fine to eat

Remember how a couple of months ago everyone was complaining about the heat and humidity?
hide.gif
I have to laugh every time I hear someone say how tired they are of winter,...... IT JUST STARTED!!,,,..... snowmobiler's are having a ball

Back
Top Bottom