Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

AI found in a backyard flock in Livingston county! :barnie
Way too close to home!
Hubby spent the afternoon at the ER, but is actually a bit better than last week, so came home tonight after all. And the ER at Sparrow was beyond busy today, miserable! VERY glad to be home!
Mary
So sorry Mrs. Mary. Hope husband recovers and I keep you in my prayers. My baby boy had 2 open heart surgeries and it is draining to go through this. You are a strong woman and all will get better. We just have to be patient. I know I do not have much of that but it is the best. Rushing towards things can only make us feel less strong for the circumstances. Love you!

My rooster, Darl, died sometime last night. I found him on the floor of the coop. His comb is sort of purple and his head is at a weird angle. So maybe he had a heart attack...? Or fell and broke his neck?

Yeah, this was my butthead roo. I'm sorry and not-sorry at the same time. He had a good two years, though. He'll be buried in the garden in a couple hours.

Not usually a fan of fresh cut flowers,
but cannot resist bringing a few Daffy's into my house each spring.
1650114018804.png

It froze last night. There was a hard crust a half inch thick to dig through in the garden soil. We're going to get snow in the next few days too. But about a week from now, it'll be in the 60s. Or so "they" say. Believe it when I see it....

I haven't posted in almost four years. It's nice to see familiar names are still around! I've only read back about a dozen pages so I'm not really caught up.
The brief history is four years ago I started doing wildlife rehabilitation and have stayed very busy. I have had the privilege of working with all species of birds. This year thanks to AI and the USDA's regs I am not taking in birds. Our state is very lacking when it comes to a response and testing. I have a biosecurity plan and separation of birds but if a wild bird tests positive any other wildlife/educational birds on the property get quarantine but domestics are euthanized whether they test positive or not. I'm not sure when things will change although they are learning both good and bad information on AI all the time. So I am going through bird withdrawl!
I have eggs in the incubator and I do have three Russian Orloffs eggs that should be hatching tomorrow. There were supposed to be Seramas as well but I think my roosters may be faulty. My flock has grown and besides the chickens, pigeons and guinea fowl I have Toulouse and peafowl. I also have educational birds - a Mourning Dove, Starling and Raven. We have also taken in another foster Parrot so I'm really not lacking in birds. The challenging thing this month has been trying to contain eveyone - they have always been free range and I have been attempting to pen them at least until migration is over. I think the geese have learned to open the gate. I hope to be able to keep up with all of you at least for a while.

Hi everyone! Rough night. The wind was blowing and heard lots of noises. Got up super early and got dressed by the door to see how their wake time will go. All good. No fighting. Most of teh girls just stay away but the Sebrights are not too scared of him and they are getting along. As I looked one last time on the camera, the nest boxes were all occupied. So, Lil Mama had the urgency to do some laying and just jumped on Baby Mama's side,lol First time I see them or any of my girls sharing a next box. I know it is common because I have read about it here and other places. But here is their mug shot:
Sebrightsdualnesting.jpg

So, I went back to bed and woke around noon. Let them out for about 20 minutes and was able to get pictures of Papa Pitbull as I promised. So here is Lil stud:

Pitbull1.jpg Pitbull2.jpg Pitbull3.jpg
They are all getting along at least no fighting which is a plus. Time to check on my fish. Will post pic later.

Back
Top Bottom