Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I reconfigured some caging after there was a mass escape on Friday. Everyone is once again contained except two rogue Russian Orloff roosters who coincidentally are looking for new homes. I cleaned the raven’s pen which was a disaster after him cacheing things all winter in the snow. Yesterday I worked on the greenhouse and today hauled drywall for the bird house. I am now sore. I have geese and chicks hatching now so I can sit and watch without guilt because I can’t move anyway. It’s sad when going back to work is less work than at home.

I did enjoy Sunday’s weather but since we may have snow tonight I haven’t given up whining about it yet. I did hear frogs but thought I was hallucinating until my husband confirmed it.

My Jubilee Orpington, Widget, might be broody. She's been on the nest all day, and she's been sitting longer and longer. Today she didn't come out at snack time, and when I offered her a leaf of spinach, she had no interest at all.

If she's in the nest at lock up, I'll take her out and block them off.

I'll also review @aart's info about breaking broodies. And get out the crate I got for that.

She's about 10.5 months old now. I wish I were in a position to have her hatch eggs, but I'm not. The eggs I had for lunch were all still looking fertile, and I bet a BO over JO would be a cute cross.

I'll also review @aart's info about breaking broodies. And get out the crate I got for that.
Did you line the crate with smaller wire?
I've got a broody crated now, the same one that got broke about 5 weeks ago. SMH.

I don't think that info is in an article, so here:
My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1650928144634.png

I just checked... Widget got off the nest. Now I gotta wonder why she spent all day in there.

She is near or at the bottom of the pecking order, so maybe she just wants to be left alone?:idunno

Back
Top Bottom